The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

It`s the weekend, any special bottles to be opened?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

It`s the weekend, any special bottles to be opened?

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:26 am

No doubt a few forumites have a nice event coming up this weekend, so whats gonna be opened? Think I am going to try a Ribolla that we talked about recently here on the forum. Also an Ervacio for the tempranillo thread here.
With some rough weather forecast, a 97 Noval LBV?
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

Re: It`s the weekend, any special bottles to be opened?

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:06 am

Saturday evening we'll be having a 2001 ESJ Bassetti w/ a leg of lamb.

Also on tap for the evening is a 2006 Bonny Doon Vin Gris Cigare, and either an Arneis or a Gavi (forget which my friend picked up, but it's one or the other).
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:10 am

Sure ESJ!! Rub it in, hope it is screw capped!!
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

by Dan Donahue » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:33 am

Bob, Ribolla Gialla may be my favorite Italian white, especially from Damijan, Dorigo, and Gravner (admittedly an acquired taste). I look forward to your note.

I haven't nailed down all the wines for the weekend, but I know onw will be an '04 Dain American Beauty. I just got his mailer and I have to make some tough decisions on how deep to go.
Je ne peux pas le faire
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:36 pm

Every bottle opened this weekend will be special; I'm turning 60 on Sunday, and we're having a little get-together Saturday afternoon, involving a Golden Pig, and some Pinot Gris and Gamay rose (and some Rocks and Gravel, too). Hope you enjoy the '01 Bassetti; should be pretty nice.
best
Steve Edmunds :D
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:54 pm

I'm being evil and self-centered and taking a couple of bottles which have fallen out of my personal favor to a dinner party so that they will be consumed. I will not bad-mouth these bottles ... I loved them once.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:55 pm

Steve Edmunds wrote:Every bottle opened this weekend will be special; I'm turning 60 on Sunday, and we're having a little get-together Saturday afternoon, involving a Golden Pig, and some Pinot Gris and Gamay rose (and some Rocks and Gravel, too). Hope you enjoy the '01 Bassetti; should be pretty nice.
best

Well, Happy Birthday to you, Steve! And if it's anything like the '01 Bassetti I had last month, then I'm quite sure I will :)
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:04 pm

Steve Edmunds wrote:Every bottle opened this weekend will be special; I'm turning 60 on Sunday, and we're having a little get-together Saturday afternoon, involving a Golden Pig, and some Pinot Gris and Gamay rose (and some Rocks and Gravel, too). Hope you enjoy the '01 Bassetti; should be pretty nice.
best

Steve, happy birthday! You need to do what I do--a day is just not enough for indulging in fine wine, especially in summer. You need a birthfortnight--start exactly one week before and go for one week after. Also, take holidays into consideration. For instance, my fortnight often s runs a day or two extra since the end of my fortnight is usually smack in the middle of Labor Day Weekend, where it would be premature--irresponsible, even--to end the festivities prior to Monday at midnight. 8) I have not yet decided on my kickoff wine, but it could involve a an authentic French poon from 1996.
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:30 pm

Jenise wrote:
best

Steve, happy birthday! You need to do what I do--a day is just not enough for indulging in fine wine, especially in summer. You need a birthfortnight--start exactly one week before and go for one week after. Also, take holidays into consideration. For instance, my fortnight often s runs a day or two extra since the end of my fortnight is usually smack in the middle of Labor Day Weekend, where it would be premature--irresponsible, even--to end the festivities prior to Monday at midnight. 8) I have not yet decided on my kickoff wine, but it could involve a an authentic French poon from 1996.

It's too late! My birthday is Sunday! Maybe I'll just have to accelerate while I celebrate! :D
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:36 pm

We are going with another bottle of the 2006 Wild Rock Vin Gris, Pinot Noir Rose’, tonight with Shrimp Scampi. In this week's newsletter Dan Berger gave it an exceptional rating, along with fine articles on pinkies and light reds.

For the rest of the weekend it is picnics with Summerale.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:56 pm

Steve Edmunds wrote:It's too late! My birthday is Sunday! Maybe I'll just have to accelerate while I celebrate! :D

Oh you fatalists. :o No, it's not too late. Yes, too late to get it at the very beginning, but if you start tonight, you still have ten days in which to indulge yourself and not say "No, I should save that one for ____." Haut Brion and burgers? Sure! And heck, forget tonight, it's almost lunch time....
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:32 pm

Will open a 2000 Philippe Fichet Puligny-Montrachet "Les Referts" to post in the Chardonnay open mike. Then will probably switch to Riesling or some Finger Lakes wines I purchased in June. Next week may see some Pinot Noirs or blended reds also as I have been focusing on white wines lately. It is still hot in North Carolina so will have the Pinots lightly chilled.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:40 pm

Tomorrow I'm off to eat with a couple friends. We're supposed to help our host clear some space in his cellar (it's tough being a friend isn't it with such demands made upon us...), ergo I have no idea about tomorrow. Tonight is just one beer as Saturdays are always early mornings for me: I'm sipping a Nøgne Ø Saison which is as lovable as the previous 40000 bottles have been. It must be a pretty special beer if I can drink so much of it without getting tired of it! ;)

I'll probably open a von Simmern Kabinett 1993 on Sunday.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:19 pm

Happy Birthday Steve! Saturday I'll be going to the annual Marine Corps League picnic, so I'll be taking a few magnums of my Dry Rose to share with the old jarheads, as we wolf down clams, chowder, burgers, sausage and corn. It's not Bone Jolly, which I enjoyed recently thanks to Bob H, but it's not bad.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:19 pm

Happy Birthday, Steve!

I trust Tom and Susan will consume my share of good wine at the party!
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:31 pm

Happy Birthday, Steve. Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:25 pm

Thanks, Cynthia! (We'll hoist one in your direction)
Thanks, Bob!
best
Steve
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:01 pm

Happy Birthday Steve. And many more!

Do what Jenise says. We all know she's right.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:43 am

Happy Birthday Steve, and have fun, an amazing vintage in more than one way..

Will you have any birth year wines?
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

by Jay Labrador » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:38 am

Just had Penfolds RWT 2001 for dinner. Will probably have a Camensac 2003 for Sunday lunch and, since Monday is also a holiday in Manila, have a Brunello lunch planned where I'll probably open a Greppone Mazzi '99.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:15 pm

I think we are going to have an Argyle Nuthouse Pinot with grilled salmon tonight. Perhaps we will sip an ESJ "Shell and Bone" tomorrow in Steve's honor.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:28 pm

Probably nothing. Just returned from the ER with a preliminary diagnosis of severely torn calf muscle, crutches and a 'script for Vicodin in hand. So far the pain is tolerable so I'm trying really hard not to take the Vicodin unless absolutely needed. Perhaps I can manage the pain with a big'ol tumbler full of Scotch?
Immobility sucks.
'Winger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:45 pm

Ouch, Bill! I'm sorry to hear of your injury.

I vote for the Scotch. Preferably single malt.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:32 pm

Ouch, Redwinger, I empathize. I don't know what I'm facing. I have a "biomechanical" problem in my cycling that is bothering me. Still..no pain killers needed (yet) so I will bring wine to dinner.

I'm thinking a 1999 Joeph Phelps Syrah that had an intriguing shelf talker note. Maybe a Merlot Rossato from Solano County. Maybe I'll even bring out that bottle of 2000 Dominus I got a wonderful price on.
Next