The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Donadei, Donadei, Karl Lawrence

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Donadei, Donadei, Karl Lawrence

by Jenise » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:35 am

We felt like sipping on an extra nice red wine last night to cheer up a heartbroken friend whose 70 year old husband has decided to leave her for some twit he knew in high school (thank you, classmates.com).

So out came a 2000 Donadei Cabernet Sauvignon, a higher end Washington state wine I purchased directly from the winery and have kept in temperature controlled storage since. Sadly, it's in a fairly advanced stage of oxidation, nothing but putrifying prunes and soy sauce. I didn't deserve that!

So back to the cellar I went for a slightly newer model, the 2001 Donadei Cab, and a 2000 Karl Lawrence from Napa Valley just in case. We ended up drinking both. The 01 Donadei was good, but there are a bit of oxidative flavors peaking around the corner. Bob and the friend both argued with me about that, they didn't detect it at all.

Until they tasted the completely fresh and one-year older Karl Lawrence, that is. This is more a progress report than a tasting note, because we were sitting outside in the salt air with a fire pit going, but for those holding this wine know that the 2000 is coming along beautifully. Drinks well, full of robust blackberry fruit, and not yet at peak.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

Re: WTN: Donadei, Donadei, Karl Lawrence

by James Dietz » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:02 am

We recently had one of the KL reserve wines..forget which one...my god, that winery produces some amazing juice....

Sounds to me like Donadei has a bottling line problem or, worse, something wrong in the whole making of the wines...how can a 2001 be oxidized in the bottle...unless they screwed up in the cellar or on the line????? Hope they back you up on those bad bottles...
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:24 am

Jenise,
Thanks for the note on the KL. This is the only Cali-Cabernet I purchase every vintage. We had 1998 KL a few months ago that was quite nice, especially considering the vintage. Mike Trujillo does a good job with the available fruit and I think good things are ahead at Sequioia Grove where he is also making the wine...at least if his 2002 SG reserve is any indication of things to come.
Wounded 'Winger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

R Cabrera

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:14 pm

NYC

by R Cabrera » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:55 am

I also like this Cali producer - the KL cabernet. I have not had the older vintages, but am a fan of the 2001, 2003 and 2002 regular bottling cabernet.

Ramon
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:35 pm

Uh oh, re the 2000 Donedei, I have 3 more bottles.

I last tried this 6/06 and thought it was closed, here's my note :
" reticent nose, some VA, lots of structure, tannin, and oak showing, only a little blackberry fruit."

A friend in Portland who also likes Carolyn's wines told me this spring the 2001 Cab was drinking much better than the 2000 at the moment. I better drink the 01 soon. When I open one I'll try to post my impression.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:29 pm

Marc, perhaps mine was a bad bottle then--I sure hope so. I'll look forward to your report.