The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

2005 Burgundy Tasting @ Wine Exchange … + A Corked One

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

2005 Burgundy Tasting @ Wine Exchange … + A Corked One

by Jason Hagen » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:37 am

Jay Selman, Jim Dietz and I headed over to Wine Exchange for their 05 Burgundy tasting. Generally, they do not carry many of the producers I buy but this was a nice chance to taste some wines. Not many notes but I’ll give some notables … at least to me … notable being negative or positive.

2005 Rebert-Denogent Saint Veran Les Pommards VV $25.99
Nice toasty aromas. Textured middle but the finish was clipped.

2005 Vincent Girardin Chassgne-Montrachet 1er Cru Blanchot-Dessus $59.99
The most interesting of the whites but not showing well right now. Great aromatics and nice acid but the finish disappeared. May have fine potential but now unknown.

Reds

2005 Domain Bachey-Legros Bourgogne VV $16.99
Rich fruit. A stem/vegetal quality. Nice fruit. Nice wine for the price.

2005 Domain Patrick Size Mercurey 1er Cru Clos des Montaigus $23.99
This showed nice for $25 pinot. Lots of fruit but a fair amount of structure as well

Cote de Beaune

2005 Domaine Pierre Guillemont Savigny les Beaune Les Serpentieres $29.99
I did not take a note on this but I remember this being a very solid Savigny. I think you are getting a lot here for $30.

2005 Domain Maurice Ecard Savigny les Beaune Les Serpentieres $31.99
The Guillemont really out shinned this one. I know many like Ecard but they just don’t hit the sweet spot for me.

2005 Bouchard Volnay 1er Cru Taillepieds $59.99
Okay…here is a beauty. Very smooth and rich. A ripe wine that may not be suited for everyone but I love the balance and the beauty. Long finish. WOTD

2005 Pousse d’Or Pommard 1er Cru Les Jarollieres $69.99
Another very nice wine … but I saved the $10 and went with the Bouchard. I don’t drink much Pommard, so not much to measure it up to. But I enjoyed it.

2005 Prince Florent de Merode Corton Les Renardes $59.99
Wow. Never tasted this producer. Very nice. Toasty aromas. A touch of tar and earth. Dark fruits. Broad across the mouth. Very interesting. May pick one up. Seems like I would be getting a lot at that price.

Cote de Nuits

2005 Olivier Jouan Bourgogne Hauts Cotes de Nuits VV $18.99
Okay…here it is … the winner for the weirdest wine. Nose of cat pee, pears, white fruit and white flowers. If you were blind folded I doubt you would ever even think of guessing pinot. The palate somewhat followed. I actually did not find this unpleasant … but it is very interesting.

2005 Domain Sylvain Cathiard Vosne Romanee $77.99
Not sure I was ready to fork over 78 bones for a village wine … but dang this was good. Wonderful aromatics. You just want to spend time smelling it. Great spice on this wine. Dark fruit followed by a burst of citrus. Good structure. I have a feeling that in 5-6 years … this will be a steal at the price.

2005 Robert Groffier Chambolle-Musigny Les Hauts-Doix $99.99
Not sure about this one. The finish dies. Not because of tannin…it just says bye bye.

2005 Domain Heresztyn Gevrey Chambertin Les Champonnets $58.99
I was actually looking forward to this. Never tried this producer. I get my short pour … and ahhh….smacked with TCA. Crap…Jeeeze…are you really pouring this. The workers pouring notice … ahhh…undrinkable….they take the wine back to the boss…aahhh…its not corked…whatever. I had to leave to go to a wedding so I didn’t have time to push the issue. Pretty shameful to charge for a tasting a pour a BADLY corked wine.

2005 Patice Rion Charmes Chambertin GC $99.99
Welcome to California. This was Russian River through and through. A big ripe sweet wine. Tasty but lacking in the finish. Pass. Would be fun at $30.

Nice to get a taste of a few wines that I am not familiar with. Over all 2005 just seems like a vintage you buy many different wines and have good luck. All of these wines, save the Rion, need at least a few years. The whites didn’t do tons for me …but they needed time to.

Best,
Jason
Last edited by Jason Hagen on Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: 05 Burg. Tasting @ Wine Exchange … + A Corked One

by Dale Williams » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:42 am

Thanks for the notes. I have some Bdx pending from Winex, some choices to fill out a case this fall- not much more to ship 12 bottles than 6.

Re Maurice Ecard- he is no longer making wine (unsure if he retired or died), and the label/domaine was purchased by a negociant as of 2005 vintage. I've liked in the past, but also didn't care much for the '05 Serpentieres. His son Michel started his own domaine,but I didn't like his Serpentieres much either!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:55 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:The Guillemont really out shinned this one. I know many like Ecard but they just don’t hit the sweet spot for me

Is that because the Ecard is actually too sweet?
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:59 am

Rahsaan wrote:Is that because the Ecard is actually too sweet?

No. I didn't really find a lot of sweetness in these wines. I just haven't had great luck with the wines. Maybe I haven't hit them at a good phase. But I hope the changes will be positive.

Jason