The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: The French invade the US

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: The French invade the US

by Brian K Miller » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:34 pm

With amazingly thick yet tender New York strip steaks, potatos, and salad:

2005 Domaine Drouhin Wilamette Valley Pinot Noir. I'm not the biggest fan of American Pinot Noir, but this lovely wine could change my mind. Bracing acidity and quite lean, but there is still the lovely Pinot cherry fruit. Some prominent earth and mushroom notes, as well. I could just keep drinking this wine, even though I "usually"prefer Bordeaux varietals. Solid 4*+

2000 Dominus, Yountville Estate Open for business, yet very lean. Again, lot's of bracing acidity-this is another "food wine." Light blackish red in color, the Dominus had a quite lean and acidic nose. On the palette, though, it was very smooth and balanced, but still refreshing. Definitely the "red fruit" side of the Napa Cab-blends=cherry, raspberry, but with some very nice secondary flavors of tobacco and leather and herb coming into play. Not even a whisper of the dreaded vanilla on the palette (a hint, however, of vanilla on the nose-but the palette is overall so balanced and integrated that it doesn't come out at all in an annoying way in the mouth.) A solid 3 1/2 or 4* effort, I would definitely buy this again (but it's sooooo expensive :x )

Diverging slightly from the theme- 1999 Joseph Phelps Syrah.

This took a little time to open up. The wine continued in the bracing "red fruit" theme. On my second glass, the lean Syrah notes and bracing acidity were joined by a very appealing earthy character and some enjoyable "fuzzy tannins" that were quite nice. Not quite at the same level as the first two wines, this was nonetheless very enjoyable and a solid 3* effort. I would probably buy this again-the only disappointment was the pepperyness promised by the "shelf talker" was not really here. Still, lovely. There are Saint Josephs in the same price range, though.