The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Sean Thackrey Pleiades XV Old Vines California.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: Sean Thackrey Pleiades XV Old Vines California.

by Bob Ross » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:20 pm

Sean Thackrey Pleiades XV Old Vines California. 14.6% alcohol. Blend of Syrah, Barbera, Carignane, Pinot Noir, Zinfandel, Mourvèdre, Petit Sirah, Viognier, perhaps other grapes.

The Wine Library carried a review of this wine by camethodically, a winelover who works in a wine store in Los Angeles: "Yowza, this was like drinking a container of Vicks Vapor Rub! To say this tasted of menthol would be an understatement. There was an underlying sensation of fruit and a little BBQ smokiness, but for the most part it was menthol city! I liked it, though I could see a lot of people being turned off by it. Might be a nice match with a steak grilled over oak to emphasize the smokey flavors over the menthol."

I've loved it in the past; a typical note on the VI Pleiades: "Drank outside on the deck with Janet's Italian chicken, corn and broccoli. Royal purple color; very fragrant with aromas of berries, fruit and a bit of spice and earth; complex taste of berries, fruit, earth, spice, all a bit on the sweet side, but changing significantly over time; medium to full mouth feel; long, interesting finish, very concentrated and full of pleasure. 5*.

But although the fruit and spices were wonderful, this bottle was so acidic that no amount of swirling or time would make it pleasurable. Disappointing. My only real pleasure was hearing it gurgle down the drain.