The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2006 Yves Collines Marsanne Vin de Pays des Collines Rhodaniennes.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: 2006 Yves Collines Marsanne Vin de Pays des Collines Rhodaniennes.

by Bob Ross » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:56 pm

2006 Yves Collines Marsanne Vin de Pays des Collines Rhodaniennes Northern Rhône France. Beekman Wines, Glen Rock. $24.99.

Yellow color, clear hue, forward aromas of apricots and peaches, very good fruit and spice tastes with a bit of mineral and earth background, rich impression, bright acidity, good finish. A very pretty wine. Rich Marsanne from the Rhone region of France showing bright apricot and peach aromas with a soft but weighty textured. A dose of spice on the back adds complexity and more texture. This wine would be a lovely match with a white fish in butter sauce with some beans and a bit of spinach on the side. 4*.

Beekman -- http://www.beekmanwine.com/ I've mentioned in the past that I think Beekman's is the epitome of local wine stores. A very good stock, knowledgeable people, excellent wines on offer on Saturdays, responsive and helpful. Joel would offer better wines to taste, but in practice he finds that people won't buy wines above the $25 or so price point as the result of his tastings. But he shows some very nice wines in the $15 to $25 range, and provides lots of information at the same time.

Here's an example.

The Rhône is famous for red wines, but whites are also produced from Roussanne, Marsanne, Grenache Blanc, Viognier, & four other varietals. Caves Yves Cuilleron, in Chavanay, is a Northern Rhône success stories. From 3.5 hectares in 1987, the estate now boasts 30 ha. In addition to his hugely sought-after Condrieu, Saint-Joseph, and Cote Rôtie, Yves also produces remarkable Syrah, Marsanne, and Viognier from slightly higher elevations that are not allowed to use the famous Appellation Controlée names and are thus called Collines Rhodaniennes. This wine was fermented and aged in barrel. Only 400 cases were produced.

Marsanne is thought to have originated in the Rhône, but it is also now grown in Australia, Switzerland, and California. A difficult grape to grow, it is subject to problems such as powdery mildew (odium), bunch rot, berry cracking, and excessive juicing at harvest. It is also very fussy about its growing conditions, producing bland wines if temperatures are either too warm or too cool. However when growing conditions are right, the round, medium-gold to amber Marsanne berries make fairly full-bodied, deep-colored wines with intriguing aromas and flavors that suggest almond paste, melon, citrus, minerals, perfume, and even model airplane cement (!) Low acidity means Marsanne wine is best consumed young.
no avatar
User

Tony Fletcher

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:56 am

Catskill Mountains

Re: WTN: 2006 Yves Collines Marsanne Vin de Pays des Collines Rhodaniennes.

by Tony Fletcher » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:12 pm

Bob

I love Cuilleron's wines, including this Marsanne (in previous vintages I've tried). I just wish these Vin de Pays were better priced.

Tony
"Ever tried? Ever failed? No matter! Try again. Fail again. Fail better." S. Beckett
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:22 pm

Bob, I have never seen these wines in my local market, and as you know I am a fan of marsanne. I would really like to compare one of these to the Ch. Tahbilk marsanne at or around 6-10 years out from vintage, Actually even with me being a fan of marsanne, I am not real big on them only a year or so from vintage. Is the Tahbilk available to you? and if so, is there a chance of talking you into trying these two side by side? Thanks.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:35 pm

Bob, I'll see if I can find them, and send you the pair. We can do a little side by side, side by side, Bob by Bob, and compare notes.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:00 pm

Bob, I have a case of the 2006 Tahbilk, and would be happy to send you a bottle of it. I will look around for the Yves Collines here, but have never seen it. I will check the BAWS in Northern Kentucky before giving up though. As I said previously, I don't think marsanne shows well in the first 3-5 years of life. I like mine from 5 out to 10 years. I suspect kept well made marsanne would go way out, but I haven't had one more than 12 years. In fact I have a few of the 1995 left. I took a bottle of it to Mo'Cool a couple years ago at age 10 and Robin's TN is still posted on him hosted Mo'Cool pages. I'll get in touch after Semi-Cool and we can arrange a taste off.
Bob Henrick