The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1996 Chateau Lynch Moussas

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

WTN: 1996 Chateau Lynch Moussas

by Covert » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:51 am

Jenise picked up a couple of bottles of this inexpensive Pauillac. I told her that I would open a bottle and pay particular attention to it so we could compare notes.

Murky in the glass, suggesting light or no filtering and fining, with a hint of amber on the rim and softening the color throughout. Immediate powerful bouquet, detecting cardboard for a couple of minutes (suggesting more opening to come), pleasant manure (dissipating early), sweet oak, black current, tobacco, smoke, sweet sage, bay leaf, cinnamon raisin toast in a toaster, a little brown sugar and a little asphalt.

The first sip produced wonderfully mature Cabernet Sauvignon and very good length in this medium bodied fine wine. Acid did not stand out as low or high and tannins were well resolved. The wine’s long-term evolution is well underway without a hint of overthehillness. Over the short term, in the glass, not much change occurred except for the emergence of good earth after a half hour.

Drunk with my wife with a setting sun over our Adirondack mountain lake, with a sylph or undine from a neighboring camp catching the last rays at the end of my dock, a red squirrel on the deck, one last slim robin in similar attire still looking for bugs in the grass and classical piano in the background (CD). Medium rare honey mustard lamb chops emerged out from under the broiler halfway through. The wine fit beautifully with the evening.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 1996 Chateau Lynch Moussas

by Jenise » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:37 pm

Covert, our bottles were a little different, though mine provided no less pleasure. Your descriptors work very well for me, though I did not note any cardboard aromas (I have gotten that many times on various wines, but they weren't here). We did not decant prior to pouring our first glass (and the rest in a decanter) with our main course of grilled veal chop and brussels sprouts, and found the wine immediately expressive in the nose but a bit tight on the midpalate, and unlike your bottle there were tannins on the finish. The wine really didn't change much during the two hours it took us to drain the bottle--perhaps, as you thought, it merely got a bit earthier. Based on recent experience with the 88, I would guess this wine to be a minimum of two to five years from plateauing.

Couldn't help but think, as we drank this, about the first thing I ever read about Lynch Moussas, and that's that it's not appreciated much on this side of the pond because it's so earthy and traditional, and also rather austere and savory (Otto, you'd love this one). It's definitely not the crowd pleaser type.

This reminds me that I never got around to locating any of the heralded 03. You did, though, didn't you?
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:31 pm

Jenise wrote:Couldn't help but think, as we drank this, about the first thing I ever read about Lynch Moussas, and that's that it's not appreciated much on this side of the pond because it's so earthy and traditional, and also rather austere and savory (Otto, you'd love this one). It's definitely not the crowd pleaser type.

Thanks for the tip Jenise! I don't remember ever having tasted this property :oops: I'll try to find some.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:34 pm

Thanks for the notes. I think I only have one of these left, always been a nice little wine (little for '96 at least).

Jenise, I actually think Parker must have liked it, because '94 to '97 or so would have been the vintages I bought most of my Bdx based on the WA.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Albany, New York

by Covert » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:35 pm

Jenise wrote:This reminds me that I never got around to locating any of the heralded 03. You did, though, didn't you?

First, I agree that there were tannins. My choice of "well resolved" was not completely accurate. I was kind of comparing the wine to many of the bottles I drink that are a little too young. It probably was a little austere, but I guess it is how I like them, and I know that you do, too, while you are also able to appreciate more voluptuous wines.

And I agree with Dale that it is a little wine, like a Branaire, in another style; or a Cantemerle, in still another style. This element gives a wine charm to me and reminds me of myself, compared with, say, a president of a country, or a movie star. These are the types of wines that I prefer most in the world for most weekend drinking.

'03 Lynch Moussas, on the other hand, takes a little lick at greatness. It approaches being an outstanding wine. Really deep and concentrated, and it can be drunk now, if you have plenty more to save.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:09 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Thanks for the notes. I think I only have one of these left, always been a nice little wine (little for '96 at least).

Jenise, I actually think Parker must have liked it, because '94 to '97 or so would have been the vintages I bought most of my Bdx based on the WA.

Dunno, I'll look it up, Dale....

Okay, he did. Gave it roughly 88 pts and called it "the most promising Lynch-Moussas ever? Dense, dark..focused...layers or rich fruit, full body, and an excellent chewy texture without an excess of acidity or hard tannin...impressively endowed.

But he also (this is the third edition of his Bordeaux book I'm referencing) says LM should be downgraded from 5th to a Cru Bourgeois. That, all by itself, probably explains why we see so little of it in the U.S.

Otto--I'm surprised you've not heard of it--Batailley, which I know you love, is owned by the same family.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:19 pm

First, I agree that there were tannins. My choice of "well resolved" was not completely accurate. I was kind of comparing the wine to many of the bottles I drink that are a little too young.

Ah, gotcha.

It probably was a little austere, but I guess it is how I like them, and I know that you do, too, while you are also able to appreciate more voluptuous wines.

Right, I wasn't complaining. Just trying to give an accurate impression of it.

These are the types of wines that I prefer most in the world for most weekend drinking.

Change the end of your sentence to "...for food" and I'm with you.

'03 Lynch Moussas, on the other hand, takes a little lick at greatness. It approaches being an outstanding wine. Really deep and concentrated, and it can be drunk now, if you have plenty more to save.

Never was able to get any. K & L was the only source of it on the West Coast that I could find, and they ran out in a jiffy.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Albany, New York

by Covert » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:08 am

Jenise wrote:
These are the types of wines that I prefer most in the world for most weekend drinking.

Change the end of your sentence to "...for food" and I'm with you.

Never was able to get any. K & L was the only source of it on the West Coast that I could find, and they ran out in a jiffy.

We've talked about sharing bottles before and never quite accomplished it. I have more than a case of '03s, so I will simply get one to you at some point. I have resisted drinking a second bottle because the wine has the potential of really being special with some age on it. I wish it didn't take years for the change to take place.

Re food, I am trying to like wine with food. Now I save a last glass to drink with whatever we are having. Lamb is of course a natural. Sometimes I end up leaving my last glass, however, as I get almost as absorbed in the food as I do in the wine. Lynn simply refuses to leave any wine for dinner, preferring to concentrate 100% on the wine, with only music, a lake view, and good conversation, instead of food. Sometimes she stays up after I go to bed and finishes off my last glass of wine.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:14 am

Jenise wrote:Otto--I'm surprised you've not heard of it--Batailley, which I know you love, is owned by the same family.

I have heard of it, I just have never had an opportunity to taste it.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.