The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Netscape Forum Poll: Largest bottle you've tasted from ...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Netscape Forum Poll: Largest bottle you've tasted from ...

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:53 am

Tying in with Jorge Eduardo Castillo's recent "Server's Perspective" column about the advantages of large-format wine bottles in restaurant service, we're curious about how many of you have enjoyed wines from oversize bottles. Magnum, Jeroboam or Nebuchadnezzar, we'd love to count your vote - and hear your stories - in this week's CompuServe/Netscape forum poll.

<b>Click here to vote</b>

Does everyone have the weekly disclaimer about no registration and login needed committed to memory by now? ;)
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

Re: Netscape Forum Poll: Largest bottle you've tasted from ...

by RichardAtkinson » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:29 am

Couldn't actually say the size. Back in college (in the 70's) @ at party we were drinking from a bottle 3-4 ft high. An enlongated chianti bottle. Maybe it was chianti, maybe something else...pretty nasty, but we were out of beer. :D

Richard
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:15 pm

Richard wrote:
Couldn't actually say the size. Back in college (in the 70's) @ at party we were drinking from a bottle 3-4 ft high. An elongated Chianti bottle. Maybe it was Chianti, maybe something else...pretty nasty, but we were out of beer.

If it is the “change bottle” I have in my den, it’s a DOCG Chianti, U.Raspollini, a 3 liter bottle in the shape of a rifle.

Salute
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:50 am

Largest I ever drank from was a 15L bottle of Pol Roger NV Champagne. The occasion was a wine geek's birthday party. She likes large format bottles, so her husband ordered this one secretly as a birthday party surprise. The birthday party also included a Champagne sabering contest. No--we didn't saber the Nebuchadnezzar. :D

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:02 pm

Haven't had any wine from it, but I've seen the Maximus, said to be the largest wine bottle in the world, at Wine Ventures in Tenafly, New Jersey.

http://www.wineaccess.com/store/wineventures/

http://www.radio.cz/en/article/60696
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:18 pm

Not the largest bottle I've tasted from, but last week I had a story in the local rag about a Balthazar (12 litres) that I spotted at a local winery. Ascension Wines in Matakana (Auckland, New Zealand) has bottled their flagship red, Epiphany, in a number of large format bottles, the largest being the Balthazar, which they bottled just two of. It looks rather majestic when photographed next to a 750 ml bottle.

The largest I've ever had a glass from, was a six litre 'Imperial' with some Aussie red wine in it.
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:20 pm

I wish I knew for sure. One year at the Kentucky Derby, we were invited to an estate nearby for a party. As we entered, there were wines aplenty in the dining room, and as we went from there to the back 40, where there was a large tent, a dance floor, waiters and waitresses, and a hundred or so guests milling around, we passed a very large bottle sitting in a stainless steel like basket hinged to tilt and pour - the bottle being way too large to lift and pour. I know what 3, 4.5 and 6 look like, and this seemed like it held twice as much as a 4.5 or 6. I was awed. I frankly don't remember what the wine tasted like - too many mint juleps at the track that day - but the presentation was fabulous.
-OW
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:56 pm

OW Holmes wrote:to the back 40

Take it from a Kentuckian, OW ... that kind of "estate" doesn't have a "back 40." A very large lawn, maybe ... ;)
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:38 pm

It would have to have been that huge bottle of 1950 (or '52??) Bordeaux that was being poured at the Tour de France MoCool in 2001 at Clay's place. No idea of what the wine was, but I do remember trying a bit just as the dregs appeared.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:32 pm

OW, that wasn't Anita Madden's party in Lexington was it? :-)
Bob Henrick