The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Boy is it hot.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Nathan Smyth

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:20 am

Boy is it hot.

by Nathan Smyth » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:01 pm

I just had something delivered by FedEx [not wine - just an old computer part], and the cardboard box was hot to the touch.

Feel sorry for those FedEx & UPS dudes making deliveries in this weather - their trucks must be getting up around 120/130/140F - or higher.

And any distributor who is moving wine in weather like this - without refrigerating it back to the Ice Ages - ought to have his license revoked.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: Boy is it hot.

by Brian K Miller » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:11 am

Although it's actually been a relatively mild summer in Inland California (I live on the westernmost edge of the Sacramento Valley), it was HOT yesterday. I can't wait until October and I hope hope hope we get good rains this year.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:43 pm

The UPS guy at work is a friend of mine. He says they do indeed "cook" in those dark brown uniforms in those dark brown trucks with some of the weather we've been having lately.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:56 pm

don't they have the white roofed trucls? I often get 20-30 case deliveries at my office (not wine!), I always help driver. Even on hot days it doesn't seem much worse than outside temp.
no avatar
User

Nathan Smyth

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:20 am

by Nathan Smyth » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:27 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Even on hot days it doesn't seem much worse than outside temp.

That was what was so weird about this package - the cardboard was HOT to the touch.

I've never experienced that before.

I think there comes a point [I dunno, maybe 150+F] where there is a danger of spontaneous combustion of paper goods.

Anyway, I sure hope the distributors aren't trying to move any product in this weather - because without some industrial strength reefers, burning through diesel fuel at $3/gallon, the wine is going to be toast.