The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Scam warning: "Wine Lovers" phishing E-mail

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Scam warning: "Wine Lovers" phishing E-mail

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:43 am

<b>Scam warning!</b>

We've learned that one in a series of new viral or "phishing" scams going around the Internet this week starts with the greeting, "<i>Welcome! We are so happy you joined Wine Lovers</i>." This scam E-mail goes on to provide a purported user number, temporary login ID and password, and provides a cryptic, numerical link that the user is invited to click in order to enter a permanent user name and password.

Please be aware that this communication does not come from WineLoversPage.com and has no connection with us. Our business name is a registered trademark; however, the common words "wine lovers" are in the public domain. Moreover, "Wine Lovers" is only one of many similar scam mails in this series, which also includes "Dog Lovers," "Joke World," "Poker World" and many more.

Still, because our site comes up first on Google, Yahoo, MSN and AOL searches for "wine lovers," we're getting a lot of queries about this, and I thought it would be a good idea to issue a warning. It's not us. And we recommend that you delete such mails promptly.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Re: Scam warning: "Wine Lovers" phishing E-mail

by Thomas » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:00 am

Robin Garr wrote:<b>Scam warning!</b>

We've learned that one in a series of new viral or "phishing" scams going around the Internet this week starts with the greeting, "<i>Welcome! We are so happy you joined Wine Lovers</i>." This scam E-mail goes on to provide a purported user number, temporary login ID and password, and provides a cryptic, numerical link that the user is invited to click in order to enter a permanent user name and password.

Please be aware that this communication does not come from WineLoversPage.com and has no connection with us. Our business name is a registered trademark; however, the common words "wine lovers" are in the public domain. Moreover, "Wine Lovers" is only one of many similar scam mails in this series, which also includes "Dog Lovers," "Joke World," "Poker World" and many more.

Still, because our site comes up first on Google, Yahoo, MSN and AOL searches for "wine lovers," we're getting a lot of queries about this, and I thought it would be a good idea to issue a warning. It's not us. And we recommend that you delete such mails promptly.

I've already gotten the email. Like all the rest of them, I zapped it.

I've taken the attitude online that I take via postal and telephone: if I do not initiate the contact, I do not respond to it.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:50 am

I am waiting for the e-mail from "Wine Lovers" telling me that they need help in moving $1 million out of their country and it could all be mine!!!! :D
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:57 am

Bruce Hayes wrote:I am waiting for the e-mail from "Wine Lovers" telling me that they need help in moving $1 million out of their country and it could all be mine!!!! :D

That is not what most of these email are doing. They are intended for you to click on the link so that they can get access to your computer files and possibly your identity.

I've heard that these things are going to get worse over 2008, although I cannot imagine how worse it can be. I receive at least 100 a day now. Luckily, most of them are caught for me by my IP server who provides a filter, but the scammers keep creating new ways to evade the filters too.

One would think that by now this crap would be unprofitable, but apparently it isn't. They manage to snag enough people to keep on doing it.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:57 am

Bruce Hayes wrote:I am waiting for the e-mail from "Wine Lovers" telling me that they need help in moving $1 million out of their country and it could all be mine!!!! :D

I can help you with that, Bruce ... just E-mail me your banking information ... :twisted:
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:02 am

Thomas wrote:I've taken the attitude online that I take via postal and telephone: if I do not initiate the contact, I do not respond to it.

Just think if your correspondents take the same attitude, perfect isolation!

Thanks Robin for warning. Most of these things are so clumsy as to be laughable, but some look realistic. If you think you're getting an email from an organization you do business with, good to preview link carefully to see where it goes (http://www.5477789.citibank.com is very different from citibank.com). And it's always good to file reports to www. antiphishing.org.

Some advice here:

http://www.antiphishing.org/consumer_recs.html
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:50 am

Dale Williams wrote: If you think you're getting an email from an organization you do business with, good to preview link carefully to see where it goes (http://www.5477789.citibank.com is very different from citibank.com).

Good advice, Dale, but not the best example: your "bogus" site would have to be hosted on one of Citibank's servers. A more realistic example is something like:

http://www.phishingsite.com/robmeblind. ... tibank.com

(In this case, you are executing a script on phishingsite.com's server and what looks like a Citibank URL is simply fed to the script.)

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:57 am

Bruce, I have a friend in Nigeria that needs to transport a million barrels of oil out to Ontario. You wanna be the contact buddy?
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:27 am

In a weird coincidence, not 5 minutes after posting to this thread, one of those emails hit my Inbox. Alas, I got a "Cat Lovers" phishing scam, so I guess that I don't qualify as a true wine geek :cry:

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:43 am

Dale Williams wrote:
Thomas wrote:I've taken the attitude online that I take via postal and telephone: if I do not initiate the contact, I do not respond to it.

Just think if your correspondents take the same attitude, perfect isolation!

I don't see it as isolation not to respond to unwanted solicitation; I see it as wise, especially if the emailers ask me to click to links to update my life for their files. I certainly don't ask my correspondents to do such things.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:53 am

Thomas,
I was just joking re your wording, I knew what you meant. But as written it implied no answers to ANY email, not just commercial solicitations.

Mark,
indeed I left out a slash. But point was they often use mostly numeric addresses (info376.com) or plain IP addreses (107.45.67.89) instead of something that might send flags. I should have said "107.45.67.89/citibankcom/fraudprevention" is very different from citibank.com"
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:43 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Thomas,
I was just joking re your wording, I knew what you meant. But as written it implied no answers to ANY email, not just commercial solicitations.

Sorry, didn't catch the joke. How unusual for me ;)

I think these damned phishing expeditions are getting on my nerves. I've even been thinking of going back to paper and pen and throwing the computer into the recycling bin, where of course they are not accepted, so I guess I'm stuck with the mess.

With each phishing email I gain more cynicism about the state of humanity, and believe me, there isn't much cynicism left for me to gain!!!
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:03 am

Buenos Aires, Argentina

by Alejandro Audisio » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:30 pm

I got one of these, but my SPAM filter grabbed it and sent it packing.... 8)
Alejandro Audisio - drink wines from the RIGHT side of the Andes!!!
ITB in Buenos Aires, Argentina
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:42 pm

Interesting Google hit -- a Japanese site that lists the email, apparently as an ad. Go to Google

http://www.google.com/

, and search on the following:

"Welcome! We are so happy you joined Wine Lovers."
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:49 pm