The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Stuff

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Stuff

by Florida Jim » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:24 pm

Squash salad:
2004 Pepière, Muscadet Clos des Briords:
The wine is bright, crisp, lightly saline, bursting with juicy flavors underscored by terrific cut and remarkably long. Fresh, complex, beautiful wine. Imported by Louis/Dressner and about $13 on release; one of the best values in the world today.
Chosen because a recent Chablis did well with this salad and I thought this might work also. It did and probably better than the Chablis as it cut across the fresh fruit flavors and bolstered the lemon/oil dressing. A lovely pairing and so light and fresh in the heat.

A pasta casserole with comté and wild mushrooms:
2005 Dom. Vissoux, Fleurie Poncie:
My Mom has not had a chance to taste this wine and since it is my favorite and her birthday (83), now seemed a good moment. I have written a lot of notes about this wine, all glowing and this bottle was no exception. Suffice to say, as good as it gets. Imported by Weygandt-Metzler and about $20.
Chosen because I read somewhere that mushrooms and Beaujolais are usually good (and because I wanted Mom to try it); a superb pairing. There is a nutty-sweetness in the cheese and the fruit here matches it well. Also the savory character of the mushrooms brings out some of the savory aspects in the wine that are usually hidden in its youth. Another great combo.

Amy’s olive and mushroom pizza:
2004 Giacosa, Nebbiolo d’Alba Valmaggiore:
Cherries, sandalwood and earth tones; medium weight, bright, integrated and somewhat gritty (in a good way) with nice sustain. A bit young but still a charming wine.
Chosen on heritage. A good match but not a great one; this is too much wine for the simplicity of the food – something I really didn’t think could happen. To me, simple food deserves your most complex and extraordinary wine – just not this time.
(Aside: Diane is out of town for ten days so I am resorting to my own devices; hence the dinner choice. I know folks who revel in an opportunity to be on their own when their spouse is gone. I’m not one of them.
And it ain’t the food.)

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars