The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A good Washington Pinot Gris (at last)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: A good Washington Pinot Gris (at last)

by Jenise » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:20 pm

Whether labeled gris or grigio, Washington wines made from this grape are have been unsuccessful in my experience so far. Tending toward fruit-forward, hot and flabby, they show little varietal character and one only guesses what one's tasting by process of elimination.

But the 2005 Bunnell Pinot Gris, Evergreen Vineyard, Columbia Valley, is neither excessively fruity, hot or flabby. Very pale gold in color, its delicious, restrained flavors register in the pear tones with light herbaceousness and ash. There's an underlying richness, probably from oak, but it integrates and overall the wine's well-balanced and European in style (including the long, riesling style bottle). I've never heard of the winery before and didn't buy the wine so I can't speak to QPR, but this is a wine of some quality.
no avatar
User

rumpole

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:16 pm

Washington State

Re: WTN: A good Washington Pinot Gris (at last)

by rumpole » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:16 am

Jenise,

Bunnell is a very accomplished Washington winemaker. See this article:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/wineadviser/2003815101_winecol01.html

I am looking forward to trying his malbec & mourvedre. His Syrahs are very good.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:36 am

Rumpole, thanks, that fills in some blanks.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:02 am

I can't remember ever having a WA PG- is the variety common there? I have liked OR PG (St Innocent, and last night a Belle Pente). Nice note, with your (and Rumpole's) comments I'll file Bunnell as a grower to look for.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:36 pm

No, the variety's not common here at all. When I was buying Italian varietals for our neighborhood tasting a few months ago, I shook the trees and could only find five or six in the supply line to choose from, and I found all fairly vapid or simple. The paucity surprised me since I know the grape does get some attention in Oregon, as you mentioned, and from top houses.