The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Should one be weary of trying a cheap Barolo?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Should one be weary of trying a cheap Barolo?

by Saina » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:33 pm

Apparently not always! I went to my usual Alko to find something nice for a risotto of Chantrelles I was making for dinner. I was thinking of a tangy Barbera but at the shop I was told I would like Giacomo Fenocchio's Barolo 2001 (14%; 23,50€ - not cheap anywhere else but Finland, lol!). At this shop, they know my taste pretty well, so I take their recommendations seriously.

This was the primordial state of today's dinner:

I pictured the primordial state, because I can never make my finished dishes look good. :lol: They always look suspicious - I used perhaps a bit too much Barolo in the risotto as it became purple and it looks absolutely hysterical. But the buttery/earthy Chantrelles and the parmigiano really suit the wine well.

The aromatics show good ripeness (no over-ripeness): cherry, tar (ubi roses?) and approachable red toned fruit. The palate has much tannins but they don't make drinking the wine hard work as can be the case with young Barolo - in fact the whole seems rather forward and even advanced for its age. It is a refreshing, bright and fruit forward (in as much as that phrase can be used with Nebbiolo) wine. I think I need to find a few more bottles of this.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

Re: WTN: Should one be weary of trying a cheap Barolo?

by Dan Donahue » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:32 pm

Only if they are bad. New producer for me, I'll have to look for some.

A recently played around of golf on course that was resealing the cart paths that day reminded me how much I dislike that smell. Luckily for me I don't the tar portion of the canonical "tar and rose nose" for Nebs. Usually do get the roses though.
Je ne peux pas le faire
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Matt Richman » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:54 pm

I have had luck with not-too-expensive Barolo on several occasions.

I am currently down to my last bottle of 1995 Ciabot Berton, which I got last year for about $22 and is quite nice.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:43 pm

Will look out for this one Otto. The books have not been moved around too much I see!!!!!