The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Good Oregon PG and a $8.75 Pessac

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Good Oregon PG and a $8.75 Pessac

by Dale Williams » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:17 pm

Betsy started rehearsals Tuesday, asked me to take care of dinner. I picked up some loin lamb chops, but mostly depended on vegetables from a co-op share:
Chops (broiled in a cast iron pan, it was raining and cold)
mashed potatoes (realized we were out of butter AND cream, used ricotta)
broccoli
quick Asian pickles
sauteed mushrooms.
The mushrooms tilted me towards Burgundy, but eventually the chops screamed "Bordeaux" too loudly.

Opened the 2004 Ch. Picque Caillou (Pessac-Leognan). Light but not fragile or short, a clean red and black currant nose with a little cedar. Palate is more cassis, with a lead pencil note and some earth on the finish. Not thrilling or attention-grabbing, but a solid and classical Graves. .
Best $8.75 Bordeaux I've had in a long while (during a huge April storm Zachys had a flood in a warehouse that damaged labels on a bunch of wine, had a special sale. They guaranteed wine, plus I knew it was cool water-50s during storm. When I went to pick up, they had sold out of the label-damaged wine, gave me a case of the pristine for $105/cs, great customer service). They've periodically had it on sale from $12-18 dollars, it's worth that. B/B+

Wednesday we were planning to go to river to see a jazz ensemble called the Either/Orchestra (great name), but it got moved inside due to threat of rain. No desire to sit in community center, so cancelled our picnic and sauteed some chicken breast (with the salad and cheese from the intended picnic). Wine was the 2005 Belle Pente Pinot Gris (Willamette Valley). I've enjoyed BP Pinot Noir before, but this is my first white. Pretty nice effort, white peach fruit with that sharp edge that some peaches have (not really underripeness, just a tanginess). There actually might be a tad of RS here, but finish is dry and spicy, and this is a nice wine that I'd buy again. As good as any Alsatian under-$20 PG I remember. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Good Oregon PG and a $8.75 Pessac

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:42 pm

Great Dale! Also that is 2 good reports on PG (from the NW) in the last 2 days. Think Jenise posted the other one?
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:23 am

I really enjoyed the 2001 Picque Caillou and was very sorry to see it all disappear with no new vintage becoming available instead. That's a crazy price, though. I know Fin is more expensive than most places, but 20€ I thought a fair deal over here for the quality I got and now I find out it's under 10$ really? :x
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:11 am

Otto,
if you reread you'll see that this was a sale price intended for label-damaged wines (though I actually got clean bottles). Full US retail seems to be about $25, but Zachys apparently has boatloads of it, and has been offering on sale from $12-20. I'd probably balk at $25, but if I hadn't lucked out with the flood sale I would have happily paid $15 or so.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:43 pm

Sorry Dale, my memory must have failed me when typing up my reply. I wish humans could buy short term memory as easily as it's possible to get new memory for computers.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.