The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Is Virginia for Wine Lovers? Introduction.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tony Fletcher

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:56 am

Catskill Mountains

Is Virginia for Wine Lovers? Introduction.

by Tony Fletcher » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:42 pm

(Notes from my half-dozen winery visits in Virginia, August 2007. Essentially a reprint from my own web site (http://www.ijamming.net) where I also have some photos and links. Notes on each winery to follow in turn. Thanks to everyone for their advice on who to visit.)

Everywhere I travel these days seems to be wine country. I’m not complaining, of course – there’s nothing I love more on my sojourns than tasting local wines - but I know my high strike rate is a result not of choosing destinations for their vineyards, but because wine is a growth business enticing farmers and entrepreneurs the world over. Be it Greece, Mallorca, Ohio, the New York Finger Lakes, or now Virginia, in the south-western corner of which my wife and I just borrowed her a lake-side cabin for a week, what was once a risky niche business is fast becoming a profitable tourist attraction. Is wine the new golf?

Yet Virginia has a greater claim on the wine trade than most American states. The industry there dates back to 1607, when the first English settlers arrived; its problems date from its first vintage, harvested just a year later from the omnipresent indigenous grapes, and which the settlers described as “foxy,” a term that has endured to plague the American wine business ever since. Indeed, the Jamestown settlers were so disappointed by the fermented fruits of these American vines that they soon began importing European vinifera grapes, but when these struggled to acclimatize themselves, the farmers gave up; by the start of the 18th Century, native grapes once again ruled the land, “foxy” aromas and all.

Almost a hundred years later, no less a Virginia-based wine authority (and Statesman) than Thomas Jefferson revived the idea of making wine from European vinifera at his estate in Monticello, where he planted some 24 different European varietals. There is no evidence that he succeeded in producing as much as a single bottle, despite thirty years of trying: confessing that growing grapes was “like gambling,” Jefferson saw his vines continually torn up and replanted as they succumbed to various diseases. The man who declared that “wine for me is a necessity of life” instead ran up a $11,000 tab on imported wines during his four years at the White House (approximately $175,000 in modern currency). In defense of the American wine geek’s founding father, Jefferson eschewed hard liquor, proclaiming "No nation is drunken where wine is cheap, and none sober where dearness of wine substitutes ardent spirits as its common beverage." He had a point.

Fast forward almost 300 years, and it was at Monticello that Italian wine-producer Gianni Zonin purchased former Governor James Barbour’s old plantation, intent on reviving the nearly dormant Virginia wine business. His idea was initially ridiculed, but Zonin had the advantage of several extra centuries’ experience, and by grafting European vinifera onto local rootstocks, he made them more resistant to disease. Barboursville Vineyards was founded in 1976 and has gone on to become the flagship winery for the State; its 1999 Viognier, which made it up to a local Brooklyn store, woke me up to the potential for Virginia wines. So, too, around the same time, did a Syrah from Horton Cellars. Could Virginia, I wondered, be the new northern Rhône?

Not overnight, it can’t. In the wake of Barbourville’s success, Virginia’s enthusiastic immersion in the modern wine business is proving indicative of the new world at large, in that it too often mistakes quantity for quality. Virginia widely flaunts the fact that it has the fifth largest number of wineries of any American state – 119 and rapidly counting – but a quick look at these wineries’ websites reveals that most of them make far too many wines to make many good ones. Wine-tasting has, certainly, become something of a 21st Century non-cardiovascular sport (the new golf!), and if a winery needs to produce a blush wine and a couple of sweet fruit wines to make ends meet, along with the sale of not-so-local condiments and Chinese-manufactured table settings, it has my sympathy. But I’m wary of any winery that makes more than a dozen wines, all the more so if they come with either “cutesy” proprietal names or boast openly of their sweetness and/or blending with other fruits.

And it was for these reasons that we headed off on a hot mid-August Monday morning to a couple of small, family-owned wineries in the farthest corner of the State, staunchly ignoring the winery closest to our holiday destination: Chateau Morrisette, one of the biggest and most visited in the State. After all, would you trust a winery whose URL is http://www.thedogs.com?
"Ever tried? Ever failed? No matter! Try again. Fail again. Fail better." S. Beckett
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: Is Virginia for Wine Lovers? Introduction.

by Paul B. » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:01 pm

Tony Fletcher wrote:But I’m wary of any winery that makes more than a dozen wines, all the more so if they come with either “cutesy” proprietal names or boast openly of their sweetness and/or blending with other fruits.

I hear you - those are some of my biggest pet-peeves too: wineries that use kitschy labels and fantasy names (these alone make them appear to lack seriousness) and try to cast the widest possible net across the taste spectrum. I take Ontario's D'Angelo Estate Winery in Amherstburg and Flat Rock Cellars in Niagara to be fine examples of the opposite: wineries that really focus on just a few grape varieties and do it with class and taste.
Last edited by Paul B. on Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:01 pm

Tony--good to see your name again! It's been too long. Thanks for the notes.
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:32 am

Paul B. wrote:
Tony Fletcher wrote:But I’m wary of any winery that makes more than a dozen wines, all the more so if they come with either “cutesy” proprietal names or boast openly of their sweetness and/or blending with other fruits.

I hear you - those are some of my biggest pet-peeves too: wineries that use kitschy labels and fantasy names (these alone make them appear to lack seriousness) and try to cast the widest possible net across the taste spectrum.

Hmmm, I can understand the wariness, but the list of tell-tale warning signs is basically a checklist for Horton Vineyards, who I consider one of Virginia's top producers and certainly the most excitingly innovative:

-more than a dozen wines -- check
-all the more so if they come with either “cutesy” proprietal names -- check
-or boast openly of their sweetness -- check
-and/or blending with other fruits -- check (and Horton's fruit wines actually stand out for me in being both interesting and drinkable)

Of course, with a portfolio as varied and experimental as Horton's is, the performance across the board is uneven. Horton's website would easily tempt one not to take them seriously, but as I found the first time I went there, the gap between the kitschy image and the serious potential in some of the wines is pretty significant. What I find more troublesome is those wineries that talk the talk (serious, careful attention in the vineyard, terroir, balance, et cetera) but their walk makes me think that they are hiring the same consulting winemaker as everyone else and there is nothing distinctive about their wines.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:28 pm

Keith M wrote:
Paul B. wrote:

I hear you - those are some of my biggest pet-peeves too: wineries that use kitschy labels and fantasy names (these alone make them appear to lack seriousness) and try to cast the widest possible net across the taste spectrum.

Hmmm, I can understand the wariness, but the list of tell-tale warning signs is basically a checklist for Horton Vineyards, who I consider one of Virginia's top producers and certainly the most excitingly innovative:

-more than a dozen wines -- check
-all the more so if they come with either “cutesy” proprietal names -- check
-or boast openly of their sweetness -- check
-and/or blending with other fruits -- check (and Horton's fruit wines actually stand out for me in being both interesting and drinkable)

Of course, with a portfolio as varied and experimental as Horton's is, the performance across the board is uneven. Horton's website would easily tempt one not to take them seriously, but as I found the first time I went there, the gap between the kitschy image and the serious potential in some of the wines is pretty significant. What I find more troublesome is those wineries that talk the talk (serious, careful attention in the vineyard, terroir, balance, et cetera) but their walk makes me think that they are hiring the same consulting winemaker as everyone else and there is nothing distinctive about their wines.

Dennis Horton is THe most eccentric winemaker in Virginia. He is the exception that proves the rule. The Virginia Wine Festival is coming up in a few weeks for those that wish to callabrate where Virginia wine is right now.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Tony Fletcher

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:56 am

Catskill Mountains

by Tony Fletcher » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:33 pm

Keith, I hear you. What to say about Horton except "the exception that proves the rule?" As noted in the intro, Horton had also impressed me with its Syrah at a proper WLDG offline dinner in NYC many years ago, and had I been in the region, I'd have visited it for that reason alone. There's nothing advertises a winery better than good wine!

Cheers

tony
"Ever tried? Ever failed? No matter! Try again. Fail again. Fail better." S. Beckett
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:52 pm

The vile "Punk Dog" vanilla milkshake I tried recently proves this too. :? I liked the proprietor and it actually wasn't too bad when I originally tried it, but bleh!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:39 pm

thanks for the notes Tony, look forward to them, and good to see you back around