The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Question on buying 2005 Sauternes, Dr. Loosen 2005 Erdener Pralat Auslese

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Question on buying 2005 Sauternes, Dr. Loosen 2005 Erdener Pralat Auslese

by JC (NC) » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:59 pm

Most vintage charts I checked only go to 2003 or 2004. What is the word on the 2005 vintage of Sauternes? Any opinion on which of these might be best: Chateau Guiraud, Chateau Raymond Lafond, Chateau Rieussec, or Chateau Suduiraut?

Also wondering about the 2005 Dr. Loosen Erdener Pralat Auslese--I did find a favorable review on the 2005 Erdener Treppchen on this forum.

I will be away from the computer until Monday so will thank you in advance if you reply to this posting.
no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

Re: Question on buying 2005 Sauternes, Dr. Loosen 2005 Erdener Pralat Auslese

by Michael K » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:29 pm

JC

What has been noted is that the 2005 Sauternes is a very decent vintage (perhaps not 2001 but on the right side of good). Here are two quotes from RP and JR

"I tasted some benchmark Barsac and Sauternes wines such as Yquem, Rieussec, La Tour Blanche... My instincts suggest the 2005's are not far off the mark of the monumental 2001's...." - Robert Parker

"There are some wonderful, wonderful wines here - set to rival the best 2001's. The extraordinary feature of 2005 for sweet white Bordeaux is that yields were not as pitifully low as usual. ...The sheer sweetness may be less than in 2003 but the acidity levels are much better and overall they are much better balanced than the heatwave vintage's sweet whites." - Jancis Robinson

Here is a link to the BBR site and their comments on the 2005 vintage
http://www.bbr.com/GB/shopping/bordeaux ... ternes.lml

If I had to buy without tasting I would buy without tasting, it would always be Rieussec, Suduiraut, Guiraud, then Chateau Raymond Lafond and I'm not sure why.....but between Suduiraut and Guiraud would be La Tour Blanche and Coutet....and when I can it would be topped with Yquem...which I have not bought any since 2001..and even then it was just a few bottles......the prices are just scary now for Yquem....going to back vintages.....
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:14 am

I bought 2005 Rieussec blind on futures. Should be a lovely vintage for aging.

As for the Erdener Pralat - always good stuff.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:30 am

Thanks Michael and David for your replies. I will take action.