The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2001 Edmunds St. John California Syrah - predictably great

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: 2001 Edmunds St. John California Syrah - predictably great

by David M. Bueker » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:11 pm

Dinner in Long Beach with Kriss Reed the other night. He brought this wine & we both got the lamb shank for dinner.

Heaven!

There's all kinds of raspberry fruit and leather in the wine with some subtle spice & a delicious earthiness (not barnyard at all). Fantastic wine that is drinking really well right now. The tannins are mellowing, so it's very easy to drink too fast. We shared a glass with the restaurant owner (which he loved) & now we're trying to get him to drop Steve an e-mail.

If you've got any 2001 Syrah open a bottle. It's so good now.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

Re: WTN: 2001 Edmunds St. John California Syrah - predictably great

by Doug Surplus » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:45 pm

I immediately checked my cellar program and yes! I have one bottle of the 2001. So, now I have to decide if I want to have this with grilled sirloin tonight, or wait until I pick up some lamb.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:59 pm

Either way would be fantastic. If all you're going to do with the lamb is grill it then why wait - go for the sirloin.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:21 am

Well, I guess my mileage varied. While the nose promised plums and berries, with a meaty funk, there was very little fruit in the mouth, except in the finish. It was earthy though, and still enjoyable. I think it would have been better with lamb like braised shanks, or maybe stew.

There were more tannins than I expected so I decanted the bottle but didn' t notice much change until now (about 2 hours later). The tannins have smoothed out and there's a bit of blueberry-raspberry hint coming through.

I've filled a half-bottle from the decanter and will check back tomorrow to see how it's evolved. Meanwhile, I'm finishing up the rest and am feelling quite mellow while I savor the last few ounces.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?