The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

cheap fix

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Nathan Smyth

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:20 am

cheap fix

by Nathan Smyth » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:36 am

Exceptionally dry - to the point of having a rather noticeable mouthgrip.

Exceptionally chalky - the first time I tried it, it had such strong baking soda/baking powder/sodium notes that frankly I found it a little offensive.

Not really any fruit to speak of, but boy does it have minerality in spades.

The flavors [love 'em or hate 'em] are very clean and very penetrating.

Originally encountered at a little dinner party, in a larger flight of wines [at least one of which was pretty famous], but over time, the other wines just started seeming flabby and gooey by comparison, and this is the one I kept coming back to.

Day Two now, and it's really coming into its own [the others having long since faded]. In fact, I've got enough confidence in the minerality of this wine that I'm not even going to wait until Day Three before posting this note.

And now here's the kicker: In our market, by the case, it's going for all of $5.99.

2004 Lungarotti Pinot Grigio Umbria

I didn't know the Southerners could make a wine with such a lean, precise, and cutting profile as this [Mapquest says that Torgiano is only about 100 miles due north of Rome]. Heck, for all I know, Italy produces millions of gallons of wines like this, and I've just never stumbled upon one until now.

But if you're looking for a cheap fix to satisfy your minerality habit, then you could do a lot worse than this wine.

A whole lot worse.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

Re: cheap fix

by Victorwine » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:27 pm

Southern Italy, just a decade or so ago was basically known for “bulk” wine. A lot of this wine however was shipped up “north” to make the “northern” wines better. Today, however there are quite a few “artistic boutique” wineries in the southern region, doing some wonderful things with “known” varieties and “traditional” varieties.
Just this weekend I had the opportunity to participate in a Southern Italy Abruzzi or Abruzzo wine tasting. (Thanks Tony and Denise!).
One wine that caught my attention was Illuminati Costalupo (land of the wolves) Controguerra DOC. The wine is composed of 70% Trebbiano; 15% Passerina; and 15% Riesling. Clear and brilliant straw color with greenish hue. Hints of citric fruit, lemon and lime and some flowery notes on the nose. Good balance, nice acidity, well-made wine. On the back palate there was a slight hint of minerality or stoniness. Pleasant and lingering after-taste (14.5).

Salute
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: cheap fix

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:52 pm

Nathan, when I started reading your TN, I thought we were into a 2nd hand blind tasting!!! Fooled me, thanks.