The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

[WTN] Negro Roero 2006 Arneis

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

MattThr

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:25 am

UK

[WTN] Negro Roero 2006 Arneis

by MattThr » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:58 pm

This wine was recommended to me by a wine merchant on the basis of my enjoyment of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc but seeking something with different flavours.

======

Wine is very pale straw colour.

I am notoriously poor at getting scent off white wines. This one smelt primarily of pear but also smelt more obviously alcoholic than I'd come to expect of wine.

Initial impression is that this is quite a well balanced wine - full bodied with a slightly creamy texture and a pleasing level of acidity that gives the wine backbone but is not excessively tart. Fruit flavours are faint and delicate - pear, peach and a slight twang of pineapple on the finish which lingers nicely. However there's not enough flavour in the wine to quite carry the 13.5% alcohol and the distinctive hot and sweet flavour that results is a little dominant.

Overall this is pleasant but the flavour too weak and alcohol to strong to justify the price tag.

======

There's a lesson in this tasting: the first glass I had was overchilled and the alcohol dominance was extreme. It's taught me the importance of temperature to tasting.

Given the fact this wasn't a cheap drop and I wasn't hugely impressed I'm inevitably left wondering if, given my inexperience, I haven't missed something?
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: [WTN] Negro Roero 2006 Arneis

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:21 pm

The last couple of Arneis I have tasted were not of very high quality..or maybe I too misunderstood them!!!!!

Matt, where are you in the UK? Do you post on the UK wine forum, some of the guys are over here you know!!

Just for laughs, where do you stand on Pinotage?
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

Re: [WTN] Negro Roero 2006 Arneis

by Matt Richman » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:45 pm

I've enjoyed Roero Arneis in the past as a simple but nice drinking acidic white. I wouldn't expect too much of it, but it does match well with food, especially as a starter with hors d'oeuvres or salad. It'll set up the bigger dinner wines well. I agree, it's probably priced too high but I do buy it on occasion. Then again, if you like Sauvignon Blanc you'll probably find better bargains there.