The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Steak extravaganza and 2001 Bordeaux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

WTN: Steak extravaganza and 2001 Bordeaux

by Diane (Long Island) » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:54 pm

A few wine lovers gathered at my home. It was hot and humid, but we attempted to start out on the patio with some nibbles of fresh mozzarella and garden picked tomatoes and basil, drizzled with olive oil, imported Proscuitto with chunks of Parmigiano Reggiano, and homemade black olive tapenade and baguettes. We poured a 2002 Pascal Cotat Les Monts Damnes. The wine showed much more acidity and citrus than previous bottles. The extreme tartness wasn't kind to the food pairing. With the appearance of yellow jacks, and their attempt to share our food, we packed everything up and moved inside.
At the table, we ate a grilled shrimp and spinach salad with a 2001 Branaire Ducru. Closed tight (this was a recurring theme of the 2001s) and revealing very little, but it showed promise.
The main course was some crazy good NY strips and ribeyes shipped from Bryan Flannery in California. In the past, when we wanted to splurge on steaks, we would drive to Lobel's or order from Allen Bros. Flannery may be even better. Side dishes were baked mashed potatoes and fontina cheese, steamed garden fresh green beans with mustard and rosemary. Three 2001 Bordeaux to drink with the steaks - Larrivet Haut Brion - more open than the Branaire, and showing lots of smokiness and mushrooms, and drinking nicely, but still a little tight. It's what I would label a nice claret. Pape Clement - big nose showing dark fruit and anise. Dark cherries on the palate, it was thick and mouth coating, but with a finish that thinned out. Still it was a great wine. La Mission Haut Brion - I expected a more open wine. This one was slammed shut - nothing was coming through, just some raspberry fighting to be noticed. Well structured, but just not there yet.
With assorted cheese, 1978 Canon La Gaffeliere - light brown color, honey nose with an orange marmelade flavor and a strange description of Bordeaux. A peculiar wine, but a surprisingly good match with the cheese and dried figs.
Dessert was a toasted almond cake with peach ice cream drizzled with caramel sauce and a 1989 Chateau d'Yquem - not overly sweet with good acidity, it tasted of honey and almonds. A mouth filling and lovely wine.
We concluded that the 2001 Bordeaux is a very good, and possibly underated vintage, but is not at a good time in its evolution, although the medium tannins and light fruit cut through the fat in the steaks and matched exceptionally well. It was a fun night.
Diane
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

Re: WTN: Steak extravaganza and 2001 Bordeaux

by Matt Richman » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:04 pm

D-

I applaud your sense of adventure if not your sense of timing in tasting the 2001 Bordeaux. I'm laying off mine for quite a while longer, especially since reading your notes. I also had crazy good NY strips tonight with my 96 Meyney.

Matt
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Matt Richman » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:06 pm

Also, I agree it is a good vintage--better than 2002 (which were cheaper) especially on the right bank. Not a classic vintage, but with some nice sweet fruit overall.
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:15 pm

So, how was the Meyney, Matt?

As far as the '01s, I'm still waiting for one that talks to me. The Larrivet Haut Brion was the best for current drinking. One of my guests brought it, but if I come across some, I might pick them up. As I said, "a nice claret."
Diane