The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine-grape genome

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Vandegriff

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:33 am

Trinidad, CA

Wine-grape genome

by Jim Vandegriff » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:03 am

Here is a link to an article in today's Sacramento Bee talking about scientists "cracking" the wine grape genome. I notice that my gut reaction to "genetic engineering" of plants is negative, but when I think about it for a minute, I'm not sure why. Anyway, enjoy the article. I don't think you have to register at the site, but if you do, it is free. All the best, Jim

http://www.sacbee.com/103/story/347334.html

Here is another link to a similar article.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070826/sc ... 0826171318
in Trinidad, CA, by the sea
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Re: Wine-grape genome

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:28 am

Except maybe for scientists, science just takes the "magic" out of a lot things we like to ooh and aah at, wine's being one of them.

I imagine folks have been diddling consciously and not with grape genes since folks have been diddling with grapes ... crossing, hybridizing etc. ... some things intentional, others accidental ... the results often amazing.

Maybe taking it to the somewhat controllable test tube level and smaller just makes it seem wrong or scary, but it's nothing new. Somehow living with the magic and amazement is more fun for me. I don't know if I would enjoy what will potentially be an all-knowing 22nd century with my 20th century mind and mores.

And, on another leaf, always having the perfect pinot or chard or zin will make the whole wine thingy less fun. There's something about challenges and diversity which makes being a human interesting.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Re: Wine-grape genome

by Thomas » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:38 am

Gary Barlettano wrote:I don't know if I would enjoy what will potentially be an all-knowing 22nd century with my 20th century mind and mores.

Congratulations. You've just pointed out perfectly why we do not (and should not) live forever. ;)
Thomas P