The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A weird, but nice Refosco (Dario Coos)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: A weird, but nice Refosco (Dario Coos)

by Saina » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:41 pm

Dario Coos Refosco dal Peduncolo Rosso Venezia Giulia IGT 2005

The obligatory photo on Flickr is here (and features an extra of a work of art gifted to me by a regular customer)!

14% abv, 25,20€. Made by "semi-Amarone" method (whatever that is...) and has 13g/l RS. The nose is a bit lactic, but has delightful herbal/tobacco/wet earth and bitter notes also. The palate is vibrantly fruity, with lovely bitterness and refreshing acidity - the RS is slightly noticable, but all in all this is a very food friendly wine. Refreshing and mineral aftertaste. Quite a delight!

I made a huge batch of Lebanese style meatballs (i.e. with some mint and quite a bit of spices) that I've been slowly going through. The noticable acidity and the slight RS coupled with this being (or seeming to be) unoaked worked like a charm with such difficult food. Superficially, this wine may seem like a tough match with the mix of typical Refosco herbaceousness and a slight sweetness, but I think this might actually work rather flexibly on the table.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: A weird, but nice Refosco (Dario Coos)

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:19 am

Otto, I just saw a Refosco from Montevina, Calif!! Your TN is interesting, will look around here.
Nice pic there, are those the Shakespeare books all wrapped up!! Also John Radford`s email about Albarino, I have just posted it on Wine Focus.