The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Berthet Rayne '05 CdR, + ?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

WTN: Berthet Rayne '05 CdR, + ?

by OW Holmes » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:27 am

My local retailer suggested this and its big brother CdP, explaining that it is a close neighbor of Beaucastel, which has been trying unsucceessfully to buy the property for years. The price of the CdR was average ($12.99) and the price of the CdP was great ($27.99). I'll try the CdP this weekend, but for now, my impressions of the CdR I consumed last night.
Fabulous.
A little bigger on fruit than I expect or ask for in a CdR, dusty but sweet red and black fruit, nicely spiced, with good structure from ample acidity and very appropriate tannins. A big CdR. Very long lip smacking finish. A lot of wine.
I saw no notes on this, but while drinking it, I popped up Beth's home computer and Google pointed me to some wonderful notes on the vineyard and its proprietors posted by GeoT on his GangofPour site. His notes were on the wines of the 04 vintage, and there were some interesting notes from the proprietors regarding the picking of the '06 vintage, and their hopes it would be as good as the '05. It's a great read.
So here's the question. This sample of 05 CdR, and a couple more I've tried (la Garrigue & Perrin Reserve) suggest this may be a good year to stock up - I skipped 02 & 03 after trying a couple, and missed most of the 04s for no good reason) so I am low on good CdR. Any other suggestions for the '05 for one who likes them mostly traditional?
-OW
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Berthet Rayne '05 CdR, + ?

by Dale Williams » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:48 pm

My impression is that 2005 is a big ripe vintage, but only tasted one or two.

My favorite CdRs are Voge, Clape, and Coudelet de Beaucastel, but all are expensive (latter two well over $20), Voge is hard to find, and Voge and Clape are atypical (all Syrah I think).

Less expensive might look at Trignon, Roger Perrin, Lafond. Chave's Mon Couer is $15ish, but usually tasty.

I usually find the La Vieille Ferme C.d.Ventoux to be a good deal at $7,
no avatar
User

William K

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:28 pm

New Orleans

by William K » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:04 pm

I quite like the St. Damien Villes Vignes CdR, around $15 locally. The '04 of this was really nice, the '05 are a bit chewier but still good traditional style CdR.

St. Damien make at tasty Gigondas as well, at around $26.
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:08 pm

On day two for the Berthet Rayne CdR - no hint of fading. Big but balanced. A CdP in weight. Nose of dusty red fruit and herbs, tree bark and leather, but tastes of black fruit and spice and beef blood. The tannins are just a touch harsher than last night, but the aftertaste is sweet and a good thirty-plus seconds.
I just checked the back of the bottle. This is 75% Grenache, 15% Cinsault, 10% Syrah.
It reinforces my desire to get a few more bottles.

Thanks for the list, Dale. I'll see what I can find locally.
-OW