The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WineLibraryTV Today: Christmas Wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

WineLibraryTV Today: Christmas Wines

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:02 pm

Christmas Wines and Episode 600 ... Secret Pack Time - Episode #600

Gary Vaynerchuk gives the Vayner-Nation a huge announcement for them to watch on X-mas morning and tries the secret pack on this 600th episode. Wines tasted in this episode: 2007 Bob’s African Sauvignon Blanc South Africa; 2005 Rhone Rebel GSM Ventoux/Luberon/Nimes; 2005 Chateau Plain Point Bordeaux, and 2004 Chateau Puech Haut Tete De Belier Rouge Languedoc-Roussillon.

Dec. 24, 2008

Previous Episode:
Ice Wines from Around the World - Episode #599
Last edited by Robin Garr on Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:45 pm, edited 223 times in total.
Reason: Top article is edited to display each day's new edition
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

California Chardonnay and Questions - Episode #306

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:04 pm

As a lot of you know, we've been enthusiastic supporters of Gary Vaynerchuk's WineLibraryTV and the huge Wine Library retail shop since early last year.

In WineLibraryTV's first 300 episodes, Gary has developed a personal style that's literally unique, and in doing so, amassed a huge community of "Vayniacs" who follow his reports and, by all accounts, pay attention to his recommendations in numbers and with a level of enthusiasm that would make some of the more ponderous Usual Suspects blush.

It's been my pleasure to work with Gary both as an advertising partner (banner advertising and 30 Second Wine Advisor sponsorship) and as a supporter. We've had him as a TalkShoe guest, and I've opted to feature his WineLibraryTV episodes on the WineLoversPage front page because his lovably wacky presentation and his tell-it-as-he-sees-it style clearly positions his tasting reports not as advertising material but as wine criticism with a 21st century twist.

Quite a few of you have asked that I post links to each daily update on the forum as well, making it easy to link over and watch. Beginning today, I'll do that. To make it easy to find each day's episode and keep it in one place rather than spread across the forum, I'll put a brief description (including specific wines reviewed) and link at the top of this thread. Feel free to discuss them here, and as the spirit moves you, click over and comment directly to Gary with the Vayniacs.

Enjoy!
Last edited by Robin Garr on Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: California Chardonnay and Questions - Episode #306

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:22 pm

I would love to listed/tune in whatever but as usual buffering problems. Same with YouTube, do I need high speed internet??
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:34 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:I would love to listed/tune in whatever but as usual buffering problems. Same with YouTube, do I need high speed internet??

In a word... yes.

Sorry!
Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:55 pm

[You] "need high speed internet?"

Absolutely, Bob.

Sorry, but so much of this stuff depneds on fast downloads.

Regards, Bob

PS: I've got a wonderful battle between buffalo, crocodiles and lions that I can't share unless you have high speed. I'm afraid it's the way of the new internet world.

B.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:56 am

Bob, what the others told you is right, for all practical purposes: The Internet is changing fast, and anyone who wants to get the maximum value out of it, and to take advantage of its multimedia capability including video, really ought to invest in a fairly modern computer and high-speed access to serve it. It's really, really worth it ... it's like wiring your brain direct to the 'net, and once you've done it, you'll wonder why the heck you ever waited so long.

But that said, if you just can't or won't go that route, you may be able to watch Gary's shows if you're patient.

Try this: Click the link to the current show from the post on top of this thread, and once you get there, don't worry about the big video image never buffering. Instead, look just underneath the video screen for a link that looks like this:

<b>Having trouble viewing this video? Try the Quicktime version.</b>

Click it, and then wait for it to download. I've got to tell you that it will take a very long time at dial-up speed, but you should eventually be able to get the video file (*.mov) onto your computer, where you can click and play it (using Apple Quicktime or other compatible movie program) on your computer without having to "stream" it from the Internet.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: WineLibraryTV: Today's Episode!

by Bob Ross » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:02 pm

I like this addition to WLDG very much, Robin. Although I sign in from Front Page and always see the blurb, the opportunity to comment on Gary's presentations is really excellent.

Thanks for adding to your burdens.

One suggestion: add WTN to the entries. It would be fun to read/listen to his comments when searching other wines. If you think the idea has merit, I'd glad to post some of the past episodes here, with the WTN.

Thanks again. Bob
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:54 am

Bob Ross wrote:One suggestion: add WTN to the entries. It would be fun to read/listen to his comments when searching other wines. If you think the idea has merit, I'd glad to post some of the past episodes here, with the WTN.

Bob, although I think the idea has merit, the tradition of using TN/WTN to identify tasting reports posted to, and archived on, WLDG is so durable that I'm really reluctant to start the principle of adding links to outside tasting notes to the archive.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:45 am

OK. I understand completely.
no avatar
User

Isaac

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:08 pm

Corvallis, Oregon

by Isaac » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:48 am

Robin Garr wrote:As a lot of you know, we've been enthusiastic supporters of Gary Vaynerchuk's WineLibraryTV and the huge Wine Library retail shop since early last year.

I just can't get past the fact that the Wine Library continues to misuse the Meritage trademark. That makes me question their ethics.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:53 pm

Isaac wrote:I just can't get past the fact that the Wine Library continues to misuse the Meritage trademark. That makes me question their ethics.

Careless, I'd say, or a shortage of wine-geek knowledge on the part of whoever punches in categories. If it's important to you, why not send WineLibrary an E-mail query and see what they say? Frankly, I think "Meritage" never quite took off anyway, and it's worse now that hardly anyone remembers the correct pronunciation.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:13 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Isaac wrote:I just can't get past the fact that the Wine Library continues to misuse the Meritage trademark. That makes me question their ethics.

Careless, I'd say, or a shortage of wine-geek knowledge on the part of whoever punches in categories. If it's important to you, why not send WineLibrary an E-mail query and see what they say? Frankly, I think "Meritage" never quite took off anyway, and it's worse now that hardly anyone remembers the correct pronunciation.

Mer-it-a-jay! Might as well say it wrong; the thing is just marketing anyway...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Isaac

Rank

Ultra geek

Corvallis, Oregon

by Isaac » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:39 am

I did. I don't recall the exact response, but it's been a couple of years now, and they're still doing it. I also don't understand why the Meritage Association hasn't done anything about it.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:56 am

Isaac wrote: I also don't understand why the Meritage Association hasn't done anything about it.

Because even they don't care probably.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:01 am

David M. Bueker wrote:
Isaac wrote: I also don't understand why the Meritage Association hasn't done anything about it.

Because even they don't care probably.

That would be my guess. Like Isaac, I've noticed that whoever constructed the categories in WineLibrary's online store database carelessly used "Meritage" as the category name for "Bordeaux-style red blend."

This doesn't really have to do with Gary and his TV show, and yes, to be precise, it's a misuse of the Meritage Association's service mark. But if they're not complaining, I'm not going to. Maybe Isaac could get in touch with them and see what they say? It might be that they're happy to see the name kept alive ...
no avatar
User

Isaac

Rank

Ultra geek

Corvallis, Oregon

by Isaac » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:46 pm

Could be. The misuse doesn't end at labeling any Bordeaux-style blend a Meritage wine, though. any blend might be so labeled. Look at the Australian red Meritage list, and Syrah is prominent. Last I heard, they don't use much Syrah in Bordeaux, nor is it allowed in a Meritage wine.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:53 pm

Randy R wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:Because even they don't care probably.

So, does anyone really know what time it is?

Does anybody really care? (cue horns) - Man, did I just date myself!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

California Chardonnay and Questions - Episode #306

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:08 pm

California Chardonnay and Questions. - Episode #306

Gary Vaynerchuk resets after yesterday's big Vayniac wine announcement. We do some questions and taste some Chardonnay. Wines tasted in this episode: 2005 Chappellet Napa Chardonnay and 2003 Vineyard 7 & 8 Vineyard 8 Chardonnay Reserve.

Aug. 31, 2007
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

Washington State Wine Tasting - Episode #307

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:11 pm

Washington State Wine Tasting - Episode #307

Gary Vaynerchuk sure has been yapping a whole lot about Washington State. Today he does a little tasting on four wines from the wonderful Northwest! Wines tasted in this episode: 2005 Chatter Creek Cabernet Franc Alder Ridge; 2004 L'Ecole No. 41 Cabernet Sauvignon Columbia Valley; 2004 Pepper Bridge Merlot, and 2004 Delille Doyenne SyrahWashington Syrah.

Sept. 4, 2007
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

Rhone Rangers - Episode #308

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:29 am

Rhone Rangers - Episode #308

Gary Vaynerchuk focuses on the wineries that are making Rhone style wines in California! Rhone Rangers tasted in this episode: 2003 Garretson "g"; 2005 Beckmen Cuvee Le Bec, and 2005 Michael Austin Bad Habit.

Sept. 5, 2007
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

Long Island Cabernet Franc - Episode #309

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:30 am

Long Island Cabernet Franc - Episode #309

Gary Vaynerchuk attacks the <i>Island</i> and focuses on one of his favorite grapes! Long Island Cabernet Francs tasted in this episode: 2002 Pellegrini, 2002 Paumanok, and 2003 Wolffer.

Sept. 6, 2007
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

California Blends - Episode #310

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:05 pm

California Blends - Episode #310

Gary Vaynerchuk tastes through some California blends and gives his 2 cents. Wines tasted in this episode: 2003 Beringer Alluvium Sonoma Red and 2004 Treana Paso Robles Red.

Sept. 7, 2007
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

Re: WineLibraryTV Today: Wine Values Week Starts Today

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:04 pm

Wine Values Week Starts Today. p.s. I am sad - Episode #311

Gary Vaynerchuk stumbles into the office after a brutal opening week in the NFL for his beloved Jets and tries to put on his game face. Plus a major surprise. Wines tasted in this episode: 2005 Shooting Star Blue Franc Washington Red Wine; 2005 Grimaldi Dolcetto d'Alba; 2005 Corte Agnella Corvina Veronese IGT, and 2005 Heartland Shiraz Australia.

Sept. 10, 2007
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

Re: WineLibraryTV Today: Wines Under $13 Still the Theme

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:30 am

Wines Under $13 Still the Theme - Episode #312

Gary Vaynerchuk sits down with four more wines that come in under $13. Wines tasted in this episode: 2006 Heartland Stickleback White Australia; 2006 A To Z Oregon Pinot Gris, and 2005 Bogle Pinot Noir Russian River Valley.

Sept. 11, 2007
Next