The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Corbières?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

Corbières?

by Sam Platt » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:04 am

I'm headed to the wine shop this afternoon. I do not have much knowledge of the Languedoc region, so I'm looking for some advice. Can anyone recommend a good, representative Corbières that is generally available in the U.S.?
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Corbières?

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:10 am

Sam Platt wrote:I'm headed to the wine shop this afternoon. I do not have much knowledge of the Languedoc region, so I'm looking for some advice. Can anyone recommend a good, representative Corbières that is generally available in the U.S.?

Sam, as typical of the Languedoc, there are a lot of producers but not that many "Big Names," so if I were shopping for Corbières, I'd probably just look for an importer I trust (Kermit Lynch, Kysela, etc.) and hope for the best. You're not going to be paying a lot for it anyway.

Looking over my notes I see I haven't picked up a Corbières for a long time, but skimming Wine-Searcher.com, I recognize Castelmaure as a fairly widely available producer. Col des Vents, I think, is Castelmaure's low-end label.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:26 am

Thanks Robin. I'm starting to run out of appellations that I have not sampled. Corbières remains on the "to do" list. I will look for something imported by Kermit Lynch, or produced by Castelmaure.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:07 am

I cannot speak for its availability in the USA but over here the generally best regarded Corbières estate is Château La Voulte-Gasparets. It is the only Corbières estate awarded as high as 3 stars (max 5) in the brand new Bettane/Desseauve Grand Guide des Vins de France 2008 (this guide is slated for translation into English and will be worth investigating - it is also the subject of some controversy on a rival board).

I have enjoyed but not been overwhelmed by those of its wines which I have tried but have never had its much praised top cuvée, Romain Pauc. If you see this, it should be worth trying.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:36 am

Sam Platt wrote:Thanks Robin. I'm starting to run out of appellations that I have not sampled. Corbières remains on the "to do" list. I will look for something imported by Kermit Lynch, or produced by Castelmaure.

You have good information and advice Sam.

If you haven't gotten to try Gaillac wines yet, may I suggest you make them your next adventure.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:58 pm

Sam, the Castelmaure wines are represented here in Ky by Fran Kysela and sons, so you want to look for them as importer. Also Robin did not mention Hand Picked selections as an importer to look for, but I am a fan of those as well. Under the Kysela as importer the wines I have had and enjoyed are the Corbières (Languedoc)
Castelmaure, the Ch. Mas Nuef which is technically not Corbiéres, but is dead on for Costeries de Nimes and is a very dependable Languedoc wine. I am not sure whether HPS even has a Cobiéres wine, but they carry a lot of wines from the Languedoc. His Ch. Lancyre from Pic St. Loup is an awesome wine for the $$ IMO.the Lancyre I recommend is the old vines (VV) which are a blend of which is a blend of 65/35 syrah/grenache, and the Grand Cuvee is 70% Syrah, 20% Grenache and 10% Mourvedre, all old vines. Lancyre also offers a white that is a 90% Rousanne and 10% viognier, which sells in the $20 range. They also have a couple of wines from the Minervois region that I have enjoyed for some years now. here are an example or two.from (Chateau Massamier la Mignarde) a)Domus Maximus 80% Syrah and 20% Grenache. b) Cuvee des Oliviers which is Cinsault and cabernet blend. and c) Minervois Tradition which is a 50% carignan, and 25% each of syrah and grenache. One needs to remember though that for thew most part, these are early drinking wines that fit their price range very well. The Lancyre GC though can go for some years. I still have som of the 98 GC that has not yet reached peak. Sorry if I sound like a shill for HPS, in fact other that customer satisfaction I am NFI$.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

by Michael K » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:48 pm

Hope this is not too late, but I agree with Robin. For the last couple of years, I have purchased Domaine de Fontsainte Corbieres and in each year it has been great. You can either pick it up fro Kermit Lynch's store or it is alwo well distributed in the US though it might take some research.

I think it sells in the under $10 category.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:02 pm

Tim York wrote:I cannot speak for its availability in the USA but over here the generally best regarded Corbières estate is Château La Voulte-Gasparets. It is the only Corbières estate awarded as high as 3 stars (max 5) in the brand new Bettane/Desseauve Grand Guide des Vins de France 2008 (this guide is slated for translation into English and will be worth investigating - it is also the subject of some controversy on a rival board).

I have enjoyed but not been overwhelmed by those of its wines which I have tried but have never had its much praised top cuvée, Romain Pauc. If you see this, it should be worth trying.

Just done some checking here Tim. Both Corbieres and Cahors have 2 wines between them on the liquor board list! Slim pickings eh.
no avatar
User

Cliff Rosenberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:06 pm

New York City

by Cliff Rosenberg » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:14 pm

Though I couldn't begin to spell it, Faillenc St. Marie is the best I can do, I love the wine Rosenthal brings in.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:58 pm

Thanks to everyone for the excellent input. After a good deal of searching for a Corbières, I found a 2004 Cave de Castelmaure 'La Chapelle'. I didn't get a chance to drink it over the weekend. It's on the list for this coming Saturday. I will post a note.

Thanks Again,
Sam