The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Brief Thoughts on Lots of German Rieslings

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Brief Thoughts on Lots of German Rieslings

by Saina » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:48 pm

We had a big tasting today where I managed to taste almost every single German Riesling imported to Finland - a pathetically small amount in other words if I'm able to taste through them while taking two hours off work. :roll:

Josef Leitz (Rheingau) Riesling QbA Trocken 2006 was melony and a bit tart yet curiously full bodied - not very well balanced IMO.

Leitz "Magic Mountain" Riesling Trocken 2006 was well balanced, but rather weighty and a bit on the simple side. Enjoyable.

Leitz Rüdesheimer Berg Rottland Riesling trocken "Alte Reben" 2006 was nicely mineral, full bodied and rather forceful, but with some really attractive red toned, baked brick scents. Not bad for a trocken (I'm a bit biased against this style).

Leitz Rüdesheimer Berg Kaiserstenfels Riesling feinherb "Alte Reben" 2006 was pure in its aromatics yet very weighty. It has a nice touch of sweetness and enough acidity to keep it from being cumbersome, but frankly I would still like a bit less weight.

Leitz Rüdesheimer Berg Schlossberg Riesling Spätlese Goldkapsel 2006 is like an Auslese and perhaps has a touch of Botrytis; it is heavy and sweet yet balanced due to acidity.

Leitz Rüdesheimer Berg Schlossberg Beerenauslese 2006 was a lovely wine, but strange for a BA IMO for having so little Botrytis character - rather it had great purity of Rieslingness and great intensity on the palate. It is a rather heavy wine, but I liked it.

Ratzenberger (Mittelrhein) Bacharacher Kloster Fürstental Riesling Sekt Brut 2001 was lovely as always: ripe strawberry and stone dust on the nose, good acidity and vibrant fruit, elegant mousse. Long.

Ratzenberger Steeger St. Jost Riesling Kabinett halbtrocken 2005 had a nose of crystallised fruit and though it was perhaps a bit fruitheavy at the moment, it was still a charming drink.

Ratzenberger Steeger St. Jost Riesling Spätlese trocken 2005 is a successful trocken: a pure and mineral nose; fruity enough that it doesn't cry out for sugar as so many German trockens do. Nice grip also.

Ratzenberger Bacharacher Wolfshöhle Riesling *** Grosses Gewächs 2005 was quite odd: a very sweet nose with a touch of Botrytis, promising a sweet wine, but the palate was dry but very full bodied and ripely fruity. It doesn't show much minerality, though. Strange wine, but also strangely compelling.

Ratzenberger Bacharacher Wolfshöhle Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel 2005 is lemony, bright and refreshing for an '05 (or then the '06 Leitzes I had just tasted made it seem so). Sweet and lovable.

Ratzenberger Bacharacher Kloster Fürstental Riesling Eiswein 2004 is very expressive and pure Riesling, full of crystallised lemons; lovely, sherbetty palate. It has 12g/l acidity, but frankly I think a bit more wouldn't hurt it - but it is really enjoyable like this also.

Domdechant Werner (Rheingau) Hochheimer Hölle Riesling Kabinett trocken 2006 has a pure and mineral nose - promises to be really lovely, but the palate is rather clunky and short.

Domdechant Werner Hochheimer Kirchenstück Riesling Spätlese trocken 2006 has a mute nose (served too cold), but a very mineral palate which has enough fruit to counter my (admittedly biased) aversion towards trockens - but, alas, the aftertaste dropped off a cliff.

Domdechant Werner Hochheimer Kirchenstück Riesling Erstes Gewächs 2006 has a touch of Botrytis, is mineral, dry and full bodied and balanced, if rather charmless.

Domdechant Werner Hochheimer Hölle Riesling Kabinett 2006 is pure and simple, a touch sweet, pleasant but not terribly exciting.

Domdechant Werner Hochheimer Domdechaney Riesling Spätlese 2004 is really enjoyable: an expressive and classically delineated nose; slight sweetness (or probably quite a bit of RS but enough acidity to make it seem just slight), crystallised fruit - maybe an easy, not the most demanding or intellectual style of Riesling, but it still is a real joy to drink. I wouldn't mind a couple bottles of this in my cellar.

Domdechant Werner Hochheimer Domdechaney Riesling Auslese 2005 is nice and weighty, pure in its aromatics, not as acidic as I hoped, but still balanced - showing a bit too fat at the moment as are so many '05s. Not bad at all.

I have not usually been terribly excited by this property, but they certainly weren't bad on this showing. How do the Riesling fanatics view them? Is there an upturn with this property?

Fritz Haag (Mosel) QbA Riesling trocken 2005 has a nice, restrained nose, but is a bit tart.

Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer Riesling Kabinett 2005 is pure and sweetish, friendly and a great deal of fun.

Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese 2005 is rather weighty for a Spätlese, but is pure in its aromatics and has adequate structure - it is quite an impressive wine, but has to diet for my tastes.

Forstmeister Geltz-Zilliken (Mosel) "Butterfly" QbA Riesling feinherb 2006 had an off-puttingly yeasty nose and a tart palate. Pass.

Geltz-Zilliken Saarburger Rausch Riesling Spätlese 2002 is a rather weighty wine IMO for an '02, but with pure aromatics and a vibrant palate. I rather liked it, but perhaps isn't still the style I would most like in my cellar.

Geltz-Zilliken Saarburger Rausch Riesling Auslese 2005 is not in an elegant style at all, but rather is fat and clunky, but still has good acidity for the year and is very likable in its own way - I still prefer a sleeker style.

Geltz-Zilliken Saarburger Rausch Riesling Auslese 1993 was really enjoyable. If the above two wines turn out anything like this, my slight misgivings about the style are totally unfounded: slight petrol, elegant yet full bodied, nice grip and very pure and mineral aromatics. Nice!

Egon Müller (Mosel) Scharzhofberger Riesling Kabinett 2006 had the most pure and crystal clear nose of mineral water and wet rocks - so it may be a bit on the heavy side, but my God what precision and purity! I love it.

Emrich-Schönleber (Nahe) Monzinger Frühlingsplatchen Riesling Kabinett trocken 2005 is a rather forceful style, nicely mineral, dry (almost verging on tart but not quite) - very good!

Emrich-Schönleber Halenberg Riesling Auslese 2004 is quite lovely: sweetish and pure and rather weighty. Charming.

Ökonomierat Hansjörg Rebholz (Siebeldingen, Pfalz) Weisserburgunder Kabinett trocken 2005 is full of white flowers and smells of summer and sunlight (not always synonymous up here in the North, lol!). This is really charming.

Rebholz Birkweiler Bundsandstein Riesling Spätlese Trocken 2005 is mineral and dry, forceful and a bit charmless but technically brilliant - perhaps it is just my trocken bias showing again, but I didn't really enjoy this today.

Weingut Georg Mosbacher (Forst, Pfalz) Deidesheimer Leinhöhle Riesling Spätlese trocken 2005 is honeyed and forceful, nice but very full bodied.

Mosbacher Kieselberg Grosses Gewächs Riesling 2004 is precise and pure, mineral and long, very successful - not as charmless as I find many GGs to be, but not really charming either.

Dr. Bürklin-Wolf (Wachenheim, Pfalz) Wachenheimer Riesling trocken 2006 is dry but fruity, red toned in fruit, a bit too heavy at the moment.

Bürklin-Wolf Pechstein GC Riesling 2001 - they have a funny idea of calling it a Grand Cru - it is open aromatically with strawberry and stone dust minerality, pure and weighty. I rather like it.

J. Bäumer (Eltville am Rhin, Rheingau) Qba Riesling 2006 is sweetish and simple. Nothing bad to say about; nothing really memorable to say about it.

Georg Breuer (Rüdesheim, Rheingau) Berg Rottlan Riesling trocken 2005 is very successful for a trocken IMO: pure in aromatics, but friendly and fruity, forceful but not tart - impeccable balance and a great joy to try.

Weingut Wittmann (Westhofen, Rheinhessen) Morstein Westhofen Grosses Gewächs Riesling 2005 is a rather elegant and limpid style of GG, the aftertaste shows a strong mineral presence - quite charming.

-Otto-

Thoughts/questions:
Many of the 2006s seemed a bit cumbersome even though they had good acidity to counter the fruit - where comes the weight?
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Brief Thoughts on Lots of German Rieslings

by David M. Bueker » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:51 pm

Otto,

Nice set of notes. If you like less weight in your Rieslings then skip 2006.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:36 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Otto,

Nice set of notes. If you like less weight in your Rieslings then skip 2006.

Ok. I guess I should - or I should taste more to find more like that wonderful Müller.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:03 pm

You're still on student money. You can't afford more like that beautiful Muller. Heck I can't afford it.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:11 pm

Thanks for the notes, Otto.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:04 pm

More notes for the 3 ring binder. Thanks Otto, who knows when we will see some of these wines/vintages up here??
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:51 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:Egon Müller (Mosel) Scharzhofberger Riesling Kabinett 2006 had the most pure and crystal clear nose of mineral water and wet rocks - so it may be a bit on the heavy side, but my God what precision and purity! I love it.

Good stuff huh.

I think I liked the rest of their lineup as well.

Big surprise.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:25 am

Otto Nieminen wrote:We had a big tasting today where I managed to taste almost every single German Riesling imported to Finland - a pathetically small amount in other words if I'm able to taste through them while taking two hours off work. :roll:

If you think that's pathetic, you should see the narrow selection that gets imported to the USA! :(

I will be on the lookout for these, especially the Mueller Sharzhoefburger, which has always been one of my favorites.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:47 am

Paul Winalski wrote:If you think that's pathetic, you should see the narrow selection that gets imported to the USA! :(

???

You must be kidding.

Perhaps the selection is slim in your local market, but the US as a whole has a pretty good selection of German wine IMHO.
no avatar
User

Peter Ruhrberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:03 pm

Germany

by Peter Ruhrberg » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:56 am

Otto,
the Zilliken Auslesen weere both regular Auslesen? The regular 05 Auslese is for me the least successful of his 05 line up. Still, even that wine should be given time. Zilliken's wines really age fantastically well, esp. in his own cellar. The auction Spl from 91 was fantastic just recently...

Peter
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:10 am

The selection is fantastic in the USA if one is willing to look around a bit. The New Hampshire state stores are not a bastion of German wines.

The Theise and Weist portfolios are outstanding & many other importers bring in a wealth of German wines. Paul has little to complain about.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:23 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:The Theise and Weist portfolios are outstanding & many other importers bring in a wealth of German wines. Paul has little to complain about.

From what I've seen, which is admittedly limited (unless you are buying directly from producers) the US retail market for German wines is even better than the German retail market for German wines.

Ok, someone now please tell me that I'm wrong :wink:
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:03 pm

Peter Ruhrberg wrote:Otto,
the Zilliken Auslesen weere both regular Auslesen? The regular 05 Auslese is for me the least successful of his 05 line up. Still, even that wine should be given time. Zilliken's wines really age fantastically well, esp. in his own cellar. The auction Spl from 91 was fantastic just recently...

Peter, yes they were the regular Auslesen. I thought Auslesen always needed time, so yes I understood it will have some "baby fat".

-O-
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:19 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:The Theise and Weist portfolios are outstanding & many other importers bring in a wealth of German wines. Paul has little to complain about.

From what I've seen, which is admittedly limited (unless you are buying directly from producers) the US retail market for German wines is even better than the German retail market for German wines.

Ok, someone now please tell me that I'm wrong :wink:

There are certainly wonderful wine shops (full of German wine) in Germany, but the real way to buy wine there is at the producers door-step. Many producers are also going the 'Mailing-list' route for their top wines (the ones that usually get exported to us!), making it difficult to obtain these in Germany. Personally, I don't blame them for getting the word out (Gott sei Dank.) Christ, 1 out of 3 wines purchased in Germany is at f*cking ALDI.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com