The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Screw cap watch: Signs of the end times

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Screw cap watch: Signs of the end times

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:54 pm

Picked up a cheap Gazela Vinho Verde today ($5.99) with a 2007 back-label bottling code, and noted that it now comes under a screw cap.

<I>A Portuguese wine!</i>

Frankly, I'm glad to see it. Gazela is a nice cheap summer quaff, but I've found a ridiculously high rate of cork taint. My guess: They can't afford high-quality natural cork if they're going to sell at this price point. The good news: No more fear of TCA stench when I uncork one.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: Screw cap watch: Signs of the end times

by Paul B. » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:30 pm

Robin, I always thought of myself as a traditionalist where cork is concerned and in some ways I am: I still have very few disappointments with wines bottled under high-quality solid cork. That said, I am in favour of the screwcap as an ideal closure for everyday table wines. When I reach for a fine Grüner or Sauvignon on that hot summer's day and it's under screwcap, opening the bottle is quick and easy and so far, I haven't had a single dud yet.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:39 am

Was in bottled in Portugal?

I am seeing increasing numbers of wines shipped in bulk and bottled in either the country of purchase or a third country.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:25 am

Robin Garr wrote:Picked up a cheap Gazela Vinho Verde today ($5.99) with a 2007 back-label bottling code, and noted that it now comes under a screw cap.

<I>A Portuguese wine!</i>

Frankly, I'm glad to see it. Gazela is a nice cheap summer quaff, but I've found a ridiculously high rate of cork taint. My guess: They can't afford high-quality natural cork if they're going to sell at this price point. The good news: No more fear of TCA stench when I uncork one.

Robin, I just bought half a case of the wine. Two bottles came with corks, the rest came with screw caps. All 2006 vintage.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:04 am

Thomas wrote:Robin, I just bought half a case of the wine. Two bottles came with corks, the rest came with screw caps. All 2006 vintage.

Interesting data point! I don't believe Gazela is a vintage wine, by the way. There's a year on the back following a cryptic string of numbers, but I assume it's an encoded bottling date. Mine reads 2007.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:07 am

Peter May wrote:Was in bottled in Portugal?

I am seeing increasing numbers of wines shipped in bulk and bottled in either the country of purchase or a third country.

Peter, the Gazela is indeed a DO Vinho Verde, bottled in Gaia, Portugal by the giant SOGRAPE firm.

I agree that the procedure you mention is happening more and more as technology makes such gyrations possible. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing for everyday wines. To cite one sterling example, Patrick Campbell of Laurel Glen in Sonoma is making his Terra Rosa line of Argentine wines that way nowadays, shipping wine in quantity from Mendoza and bottling it in Graton, California. It's a splendid wine.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:15 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Thomas wrote:Robin, I just bought half a case of the wine. Two bottles came with corks, the rest came with screw caps. All 2006 vintage.

Interesting data point! I don't believe Gazela is a vintage wine, by the way. There's a year on the back following a cryptic string of numbers, but I assume it's an encoded bottling date. Mine reads 2007.

Yep, it's a bottling date, not a vintage, and yep, it's bottled in Portugal by SoGrape, the guys that brought us Mateus back when we were young...
Thomas P