The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTNs: Foie Gras Death Match 2007 (Warning: reading may heighten cholesterol)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Nicholas Grenier

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:24 pm

Portland, ME

WTNs: Foie Gras Death Match 2007 (Warning: reading may heighten cholesterol)

by Nicholas Grenier » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:36 pm

The premise: A gathering of Portland, Maine's finest culinary show-offs, each challenged to come up with a creative dish utilizing Foie Gras as the main ingredient.

The outcome: An artery clogging event involving 9 courses and a stellar lineup of wine, beer, and bourbon (only the first of which I kept track of).

My contribution: A deer heart (to be prepared by a much more talented cook)

[img]http://a806.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/91/l_855144d293553c507b4f46fa5fdabe4d.jpg[/img]

The play by play (with wine tasting notes):

2006 Dr. Burklin-Wolf Riesling Estate – Pineapple and some apple with crisp acidity.

Joe Ricchio battles the double magnum.

I join the battle.

I'm giving the international sign for "I just don't see how we're going to get that cork out in one piece!"

The cork is brutally defeated.

1993 Georg Breuer Rauenthaler Nonnenberg Riesling Auslese (Double Magnum) – Intense with vivid petrol on the nose, mineral and tropical fruit on the palate. Well worth the 15 minutes, 2 corkscrews, and 3 experienced waiters it took to get the cork out.

Dom and I enjoying the spoils of battle.

Courtney's "Salt Cured Foie Gras" with cardamom peaches, greens, marconi almonds, almond vinaigrette, and brioche toast.

2004 Livio Felluga “Terre Alte” – Initially this was a bit musty, but the odor blew off quickly to let the ginger, apple pie aromas through. The palate was very rich with butterscotch and caramel flavors. Much more robust than I was expecting but very interesting.

2004 Zind-Humbrecht “Zind” – Very elegant, with aromas of apple, freshly cut herbs, and minerals that carried on to the clean palate.

Jon's Pierogies with seared peach and foie gras filling, gastrique, black pepper creme fraiche, and cipollini "awesome blossom."

Nolan's "Egg Salad" - hard boiled quail egg, seared foie gras, truffle mayo, apples, 2-year aged cheddar, fried onion, on a homemade biscuit.

2005 Robert Groffier Bourgogne – Sweet cherry, orange peel, and cinnamon notes made this Burgundy pretty enjoyable.

2001 Au Bon Climat Pinot Noir “Isabelle Morgan” – Very forward notes of mature red berry fruit. Thick texture and lengthy finish.

Joe's "Poutine" - hand cut frites, foie gras gravy, smiling hill farm cheese churds, and seared foie gras.

2004 Ponzi Pinot Noir – More subtle and a bit earthier than the Au Bon Climat. Some interesting spice notes showing through the baked red fruit and earth.

2001 Poggio Amorelli “Oracolo” – Licorice, cooked berries, earth, and noticeably more acid than the previous wines.

Brad and his "croquettes" with seared foie gras and truffles.

2004 Yves Cuilleron Saint-Joseph L’Amarybelle – Freshly cracked black pepper with underlying hints of cooked bacon and game. Shows more fruit on the palate than the nose and finishes with moderate tannins.

2003 Pibarnon Bandol – Not quite as primal and gamey as I was expecting, but showed very ripe fruit with mild tannins and acidity. Does Pibarnon typically make a more subdued style of Bandol or is it just the extremely hot vintage?

Pieper's "Palate Cleanser" - seared foie gras, black peppercorn scorched watermelon, and sauce grimrod.

2002 Grant Burge “The Holy Trinity” – One step down from Port. Extremely dense, slapping you around with sweet fruit on the palate.

2004 Sang de Cailloux Vacqueyras “Cuvee Floureto” – Jon Deitz described this wine well, calling it “spiked blood.” Lots of game, pepper, and spice notes with a thick, stewed palate.

Josh's presentation of my deer heart!

2001 E & E “Black Pepper” Shiraz – There’s no doubt as to this wine’s origin. Massive in flavor and texture with sweet black fruit and mild pepper notes. Fitting for the event, though not usually my style.

1997 Wegeler Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese (375ml) – I’ve had more delicious, intriguing, sensual Riesling in the last 48 hours than I’ve had in my entire year or so of wine appreciation. I sense an addiction taking hold. This wine was dripping with petrol, honeysuckle, and peach.

Erik's "French Toast" - cocoa butter brioche, seared foie gras, maine blueberry jam, and bacon ice cream.

1998 Milz Laurentiushof Trittenheimer Apotheke Riesling Eiswein (375ml) – Much darker in color than the previous Riesling and much deeper in flavor. Super-rich and viscous on the palate.

2003 Kracher Beerenauslese Cuvee Weinlaubenhof Burgenland (500ml) – Less complex and mature than the previous two wines, but still beautiful with clean tropical flavors.

Bronwyn and her foie gras creme brulee.

Too much foie, just enough auslese.
Last edited by Nicholas Grenier on Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTNs: Foie Gras Death Match 2007 (Warning: reading may heighten cholesterol)

by Rahsaan » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:38 pm

Seems like a nice light meal.

Good way to start the week! :wink:

Thanks for the notes.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTNs: Foie Gras Death Match 2007 (Warning: reading may heighten cholesterol)

by Jenise » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:11 am

Great pictures and comments--brilliant post! In fact, so much so, that it's hard to "my year or so of wine appreciation". ONLY a year?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:38 am

Oh my gosh...ack...qiuck...somebody call 911...I'm...having...a...heart...attack...just...from...looking...at...the... pictures...I...will...die...before...I...tell...you...where...the...microchip...is...Agent...Bauer

Seriously - great stuff. As for the double magnum - did you guys try the two pronged corkscrew? For German wines they are an indispesible tool as they can loosen the cork around the edges of the bottle.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Nicholas Grenier

Rank

Wine geek

Portland, ME

by Nicholas Grenier » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:05 am

David M. Bueker wrote: As for the double magnum - did you guys try the two pronged corkscrew? For German wines they are an indispesible tool as they can loosen the cork around the edges of the bottle.

Do they make two pronged corkscrews that are wide enough to fit around the cork of a double magnum?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:07 am

I think so. I'm pretty sure I have seen one.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Nicholas Grenier

Rank

Wine geek

Portland, ME

by Nicholas Grenier » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:40 am

Jenise wrote:"my year or so of wine appreciation". ONLY a year?

a more accurate phrase on my part would have been "my year or so of focused wine appreciation."
Last edited by Nicholas Grenier on Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:16 am

What a great concept for a food and wine theme! I'm impressed by the originality of the dishes.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:31 pm

We had an amazing piece of seared foie gras last night....huge piece, much like the one shown in the foto.. my god was it wonderful... with champagne...
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: WTNs: Foie Gras Death Match 2007 (Warning: reading may heighten choleste

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:03 pm

Fantastic post! I especially loved all the photos, Nicholas.
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:24 pm

Yowza, those look a lot better than the pierogies I grew up with! Now, if I can just convince my aunts to try this recipe... Actually, I would be shocked if they've ever heard of foie gras!

Nicely done!

-Michael
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:53 pm

I'll also add that the action photo of the cork exploding from the bottle is the best I've ever seen.

Keep up the good work!
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:10 pm

Great notes, Nicholas. Thanks. Bob
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:22 pm

I am no stranger to foie gras, as anyone that has read my Foie Fools notes can attest, but a couple of those dishes seemed just too intentionally heavy.

The pyrogies and the poutine in particular. Did you find them a bit unnecessarily like food intended to sustain one while dogsledding to Inuvik....?
no avatar
User

Nicholas Grenier

Rank

Wine geek

Portland, ME

by Nicholas Grenier » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:02 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:a couple of those dishes seemed just too intentionally heavy.

The only dish that was too heavy was the Poutine. I cringe just looking at the picture of it actually. The Pierogies were manageable and I think their placement as the second course made them seem less arterially harmful. I had thought the French toast and bacon ice cream would have been too much, but it was actually enjoyable. I did only have bite-sized portions of each course though. I try to keep my own glutony in moderation. :D