The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Vegetarianism and Wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:28 am

Bordeaux

Re: Vegetarianism and Wine

by AlexR » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:26 am

Thomas,

I do excuse your bluntness, but must assure you that you are completly mistaken.

I love to cook and cook often!

In fact, I have few greater pleasures than to invite friends over on a weekend for a special meal with good wine.

As for vegetarians in France, yes, they are an endangered species. Just ask Rashaan!

Yours truly,
Alex
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:33 am

AlexR wrote:Thomas,

I do excuse your bluntness, but must assure you that you are completly mistaken.

I love to cook and cook often!

In fact, I have few greater pleasures than to invite friends over on a weekend for a special meal with good wine.

As for vegetarians in France, yes, they are an endangered species. Just ask Rashaan!

Yours truly,
Alex

OK. I'll email you some vegetarian recipes that will pair with red wine--even the great ones, not that I get to pair those on a regular basis. Of course, all you have to do is find out which vegetable dishes are served in Cahors--they seem to pair everything with Malbec...

The last time I was in France--Cahors, Beaucaire, Orange, CdP, Provence, Narbonnes, and Banyuls--I must have gained fifteen pounds in three weeks, mostly from MEAT and wine!!!
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:41 pm

AlexR wrote:We are all conditionned by our upbringing. My difficulty to relate to a meatless wine dinner is surely grounded in my personal history, and perhaps I need to open my eyes a little more...

Ok. Understood.

As far as being a vegetarian in France, I never found it to be a problem and never understood why people thought it was so difficult. Assuming one eats fish and seafood of course. Without those it could be harder. A vegan diet is the one that seems impossible.
no avatar
User

Rod Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:52 pm

El Dorado, CA

by Rod Miller » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:10 pm

There are three or four excellent Vegetarian restaurants in Paris (I asked one for California wine...they didn't think it was funny). Of course I forget their names. Most vegetarians here don't eat fish. But there are many compromises. I eat egg and have to say that a cheese souffle is my first date meal of choice with wine of course. As a Buddhist I don't eat anything with a face.

We have some great local organic olive oils, but adding butter can add depth to many dishes...so Thomas is correct about matching fats and acid. California cuisine is a mix of flavors and we have wines made in the overripe or European style so matching food, wine, or setting is a good idea. And it is fun too! I agree with Rahsaan's semi-point that an old wine can be so soft that it would match with many vegi olive oil base Mediterranean style dishes. Another common element of food is sweetness. There are many sweetened sauces like a Thai peanut sauce that would require a riper wine if one wanted to drink a red wine. Sweet food will make the acid of wine taste more sour. Many local zins are called BBQ wines because they can work with sweet BBQ sauce.

Of course we all see the world from mainly our own points of view.
May all beings find happiness and the causes of happiness!!!!
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:16 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
AlexR wrote:We are all conditionned by our upbringing. My difficulty to relate to a meatless wine dinner is surely grounded in my personal history, and perhaps I need to open my eyes a little more...

Ok. Understood.

As far as being a vegetarian in France, I never found it to be a problem and never understood why people thought it was so difficult. Assuming one eats fish and seafood of course. Without those it could be harder. A vegan diet is the one that seems impossible.

You are correct Rahsaan. I have a tendency to think of the word "vegetarian" to mean what it sounds like. I never could figure out how fish and cheese got into the vegetarian food classification . ;)
Seems the word vegetarian really means: non-red meat and fowl eater.
Thomas P
Previous