The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Two From Down Under

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

Two From Down Under

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:05 pm

RadfordDale Eden Valley Riesling, 2004: The label mentions that this is from old vines and high altitude. Fresh, light nose of flowers and herbs, and just a tinge of the standard petrol. Tasted of slightly underripe peaches, a bit sour but softened up after some air time. Lingering aftertaste, somewhat harsh. The wine enhanced the small plates of sliced tomatoes, lightly salted and peppered and drizzled with olive oil and the smoked salmon and goat cheese on bagel crisps sprinkled with dill, but the food did nothing for the wine…left it feeling and tasting rather flabby actually. I recall JC posting about this wine in her notes from the “France vs. the Rest of the World” event at the French Embassy in DC, and that only a handful of people preferred this wine over the Alsatian rival. I think I can understand why, and although I didn’t fine it offensive I doubt I’d pick up another bottle. $16.99

Wild Earth Pinot Noir, Central Otago, 2005: Very transparent, intense ruby tinged w/ violet. Nose of tomatoes and rust, followed by similar notes on the palate. Tangy acidity and a slight saltiness, which sat well with me because I love salt, but might be offputting to some. Come to think of it, I could have had a V8. :wink: Some additional nebulous spices showed up later that for some reason made me think of Christmas. Maybe some underlying mushroom there as well. Suited the same food mentioned above very well, and vice versa, although it overwhelmed the tomatoes a little. I’m not really a huge pinot noir fan (I’ve only tasted one or two that “did it” for me), but I did like this wine. Not sure if I’d buy it again at $29.99 since I know I can get something that I like just as well if not better (Bouchard P&F Savigny Les Beaunes) for the same price.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

Re: Two From Down Under

by Sue Courtney » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:22 pm

If you were fascinated by that Wild Earth, they have a second label called Blind Trail, which may be more attractive at a much lower price (NZ$23 cf. to NZ$38 ). I love the savouriness of the second wine. I know it goes to the UK, but not sure if it goes to the USA.

Follow the Blind Trail and smell the Wild Earth

V8 - brmmmm, brmmmm - a car?

Cheers,
Sue
Last edited by Sue Courtney on Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

Re: Two From Down Under

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:27 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:If you were fascinated by that Wild Earth, they have a second label called Blind Trail, which may be more attractive at a much lower price (NZ$23 cf. to NZ$38). I love the savouriness of the second wine. I know it goes to the UK, but not sure if it goes to the USA.

Follow the Blind Trail and smell the Wild Earth

V8 - brmmmm, brmmmm - a car?

Cheers,
Sue

Tee hee - nope, V8 the vegetable juice drink. In the commercials here in the US, they show people drinking something else, then they suddenly smack themselves in the head and say "I coulda had a V8!". :)

I'll keep an eye out for the Blind Trail - thanks!
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt