The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

A sampling of NZ wines, form NV sparklers, SB, PG, and PN

by Michael K » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:12 am

NV Landauer Sparking wine – Well for $11.99, it actually decent and while at this price, I’ll reach for a Cava every time, this one had its merits. Nose of fresh bread, highly acidic, probably would work great with Sushi since it is not imposing.

2007 Croney 3 Ton SB, Intense nose, slightly herby, guava, minerally, heavier weight and richer than the others Very nice density in the wine and for about the same price to the next one, comes off as if it was in a different price league.

2007 Brancott SB, much lighter nose, more herby, a bit more tart and a hint of bitterness at the end but soft and easy to drink. $14.99

2007 Thornbury Pinot Gris Slightly off dry on the nose, confirmed on the palate. On first taste, very put off by a high alcohol taste but that went away and the wine, while sweet and round, was decent. Nice pear and steely. This was a 14% ABV white wine.

2004 Brancott PN - Colour was of an aged burgundy or Rhone and looked much older than its 3 years would suggest. Nose of mushroom, highly acidic, light body, decent though as the components had integrated reasonably well but needs drinking.

2007 Tohu PN - Nose of sweet brandied cherries some smokey bacon, garnet ruby in colour. Very forward.
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

Re: A sampling of NZ wines, form NV sparklers, SB, PG, and PN

by Sue Courtney » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:23 am

Never heard of Croney before so I googled it and found it's part of 'Liquid Brands', Massachusetts, USA and grapes for the Croney brand are sourced from both NZ and Australia.
The winemaking info for the 3 Ton on the Croney website is for the 2006 and it's a bit confusing, but it gives the winemakers' names. I wonder if the 2007 is from the same source. I'll have to ask.

Cheers,
Sue
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

by Michael K » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:27 pm

Sue,

Thanks for that. I've never seen it before either. So are the grapes delivered to a Mass winery to bottle? wow..I'll check the labels tonight to see what information is on them. The wine maker I was told was Greg Cron.
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:35 pm

http://croneyestates.com/

Was probably produced at a contract facility in Marlborough. Many of the NZ wines from small vineyard producers are also prodcued at contract wineries, as most small vineyard producers do not have their own on site wineries. Economical way to do it, I reckon. Maybe Greg came out here to oversee the making of the wine. I'll know more soon.
Cheers,
Sue