The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Trip to the U.S.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

Trip to the U.S.

by David Lole » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:33 am

Many of the forum members that congregate in the chat room will be well aware of the fact that I have been sprooking for some time now about my trip to the States next year. Well, just to make it a little more official, I've just decided to start arrangements about -

how I get there (and back :wink: )

who I get to meet

where I stay

what we eat and drink

The only thing for certain, is that I'll be there for a calendar month.

Anyone got any ideas to help me with my plight?
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: Trip to the U.S.

by Bob Ross » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:23 am

What month, David. And how much do you want to travel -- distances are roughly the same as Australia -- and by what means?

For my money, New York City is still the one essential place to visit on a first time trip here. And there are lots of travel options between Boston and Washington and points between the two. I'd start with that corridor -- say Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York and Boston.

Then a few days in Chicago to get a sense of Midwest, or a southern city -- Atlanta, San Antonio, perhaps New Orleans, to get a sense of the South.

Finally, the Napa/Sonoma, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego corridor.

If your travel plans bring you to the City, let me know, and I'll be glad to meet with you and help with other arrangements.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:34 am

I think Bob is on the right track with his itinerary suggestions. If you do end up in DC, it will give us another reason for an offline! I'm happy to help with suggestions in this area...
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:12 am

being from the east coast originally, i agree. except that i'd just keep going south and hit williamsburg, charleston, savanah. i'm partial to philly. but i also think that new orleans and san francisco are worthwhile - unique. of course we are missing things like the grand canyon, the high sierra's and others.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:21 am

You can't do it all in a month. Pick a coast -East for culture, west for over-priced wine :lol: . Of course the Rockies and Pacific Northwest have the most beautiful scenery we have to offer.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:13 am

David, I've been thinking about your question for a few hours, and have a suggestion that would help me give you a more focussed answer:

If I had a month to spend in Australia, how should I spend it?

Janet put together a ten day trip to Australia with a travel agent awhile ago -- it was a wonderful experience. I would like to compare what little I know about Australia with what you think would be essential/interesting/fun to see in Australia.

That would give me a very good idea of what sorts of things would be most essential/interesting/fun for you to see in this country. My suggested itinerary in my first post in this thread was based, frankly, on my all too brief travels in Australia.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:26 am

how I get there (and back Wink )
I think driving would be a bad choice.

who I get to meet
There are several of us here who would love to meet you.

where I stay
If you come to Niagara Falls - Buffalo - Toronto area, you can stay with me.

what we eat and drink
There are many local cuisines and wines here, so it almost depends on where you are.

The only thing for certain, is that I'll be there for a calendar month.
Arrangement can be made for offlines and get togethers. If you let us know which month and travel plans, I'm sure several folks may travel to meet you. September and October are great months for seeing much of the USA, as the tourist - Summer travel rush is over and the trees change colors.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:02 pm

If you don't come to DC you will forever be Moe! I also have a bed ready and waiting! My wife you cannot have.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:17 pm

James Roscoe wrote:If you don't come to DC you will forever be Moe! I also have a bed ready and waiting! My wife you cannot have.

Thanks for the information, James! :lol:

To the all other members that have graciously offered assistance, firstly, a huge thank you, and, secondly, I'll try and fill in as many gaps to your questions as soon as I am able.

To let you all know where I'm coming from, I did want to come earlier in the year than later but there's a few caveats on whether this is possible. I've been told winter can be awfully harsh in the more northerly states but I like cold/snow/ice a whole lot more than heat/humidity/sweat. I also like to cross-country ski! So perhaps late winter/early spring suits me best of all.

It's worth mentioning, my motivation in coming over stems, almost entirely, from wanting to meet and have a wine or three with a number of people who frequent this board. I'm sure there'll a spot or two of sightseeing done in the intervening gaps between! :wink:

As of today I'm mapping (literally) all the cities/states where I want to visit. Once I've done that, I'll come back to you with some names and places.

Any other thoughts on the matter will always be appreciated.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:10 pm

Actually you'll be Larry. Gary is Moe.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:26 am

I think Washington DC really should be on your agenda. Maybe I’m being presumptuous, but I'm already looking forward to a fine wine/dining experience in Washington, DC when you get here. I’m sure there are several WLDGers in the area (James? K?) who are thinking the same thing.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:44 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:I think Washington DC really should be on your agenda. Maybe I’m being presumptuous, but I'm already looking forward to a fine wine/dining experience in Washington, DC when you get here. I’m sure there are several WLDGers in the area (James? K?) who are thinking the same thing.

Of course Jon, we are going to raid that wine cellar you are sitting in front of in the picture thread! :lol:

I think another dinner at Dino's will be in order. Actually I am thinking there may be a couple of dinners.
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:19 pm

I think you should fly to Los Angeles or San Francisco, rent a car and spend a few days in each region, driving from one to the other. You should spend one or two days in Napa/Sonoma, one day in Central Coast (e.g. Paso Robles or Santa Barbara County).

In SF, you will dine and drink well. In LA, you should do some touristy stuff like see Disneyland, a Hollywood studio, the Getty Center, etc. You should then drive to the Grand Canyon, spending a night in Flagstaff, the nearest town with decent accomodations. Every visitor to the US has to see the Grand Canyon! You could see some other great western scenic venues, too, if interested. You cna then fly from Phoenix to anywhere in the US to continue your journey.

If you want to X-country ski, Minnesota and Wisconsin are the places for that. If you are here in the dead of winter, be prepared for arctic conditions (20-30 below 0 F, 20-30 mph winds).

New York City is a must visit, as it is the greatest city on Earth. Plan for at least 5 days there.

Washington DC is also a must, and there are a lot of wine events and offlines there.

Then, depending upon your cultural interests, there are many other suggestions we could make.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:50 pm

Count me in James!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:46 pm

Please keep us posted, sure the NYC WLDGers would love to offline if you have a night or two free
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:44 pm

David,
Upon a second reading of your post, I had a slightly different thought regarding your visit to the US. It isn't just cities like New York, Washington and San Francisco that you should visit: you should see the sights. For example: Yosemite National Park; The Grand Canyon; Niagara Falls; The Great Smoky Mountains; The Everglades...and as I think of more, I post them to you.
Jon P.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:14 pm

Bernard wrote.........if you are here in the dead of winter, be prepared for arctic conditions (20-30 below 0 F, 20-30 mph winds).

That is pretty mild weather there!! You should come up here, I`ll show you winter.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:14 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Then a few days in Chicago to get a sense of Midwest, or a southern city -- Atlanta, San Antonio, perhaps New Orleans, to get a sense of the South.

I would suggest either Charleston, South Carolina or Savannah, Georgia to get a sense of the South rather than Atlanta. Atlanta is so different from the rest of the region now, that you cannot get a true measure of what The South is if that city is your only exposure to it. For what it's worth, I lived 39 of my first 40 years two hours away from Atlanta.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:52 pm

Robert Reynolds wrote:
Bob Ross wrote:Then a few days in Chicago to get a sense of Midwest, or a southern city -- Atlanta, San Antonio, perhaps New Orleans, to get a sense of the South.

I would suggest either Charleston, South Carolina or Savannah, Georgia to get a sense of the South rather than Atlanta. Atlanta is so different from the rest of the region now, that you cannot get a true measure of what The South is if that city is your only exposure to it. For what it's worth, I lived 39 of my first 40 years two hours away from Atlanta.

Charleston is the best food town in the southeast. It may be as good as New Orleans since Katrina. It is also small and needs no vehichle to get to most of the top places.
no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

by Michael K » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:22 am

I know that you are primarily looking at the US but since you are on this side of the Atlantic, I would also suggest that you look up a bits into Canada. Specifically

(1) Quebec City (for just a hint of Europe)
(2) Toronto ("New York ran by the Swiss")
(3) Vancouver/Banff (modern city and the Younger side of the Rockies)
(4) Montreal (while you are in Quebec City, not too far away).
(5) Halifax and area Cabot Trail,...

For Quebec City, Halifax and Montreal, you can incorporate with the Eastern Seaboard visit (start in Washington and move on up).

Toronto and Chicago are both mid continent (separated by a time zone)

and Vancouver / Banff would be a good place to start and then go south to Seattle, SF, LA and San Diego).
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:25 pm

Michael K wrote:...(2) Toronto ("New York ran by the Swiss")...
And it is only a half-hour drive to the Niagara Peninsula wineries (about 150 or so). :wink:
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:18 am

Howie Hart wrote:
Michael K wrote:...(2) Toronto ("New York ran by the Swiss")...
And it is only a half-hour drive to the Niagara Peninsula wineries (about 150 or so). :wink:

...... and Hart cellars is first cab off the rank!

To everyone else who's posted above - thanks for the advice and keep it coming! I have been reading your suggestions - please remember my primary purpose in visiting is to meet the "people" on this board. Sightseeing/winery visits no doubt will come once I've set an itinerary on whom I'm visiting (or should I say, who will have me?).
Cheers,

David