The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTNs: A mixed bag

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Cam Wheeler

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed May 17, 2006 7:01 pm

Sydney, Australia

WTNs: A mixed bag

by Cam Wheeler » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:34 am

Krug Grand Cuvee MV (1988 disgorgement)
Earthy, citrus, honey, ginger and floral aromas. Initially it was a bit subdued on the palate, but with some time in the glass it took on extra weight and length. Has retained a core of cleansing acid. Not quite as complex or flawlessly balanced as Danny's bottle from a similar date, but still brilliant.
96/100

2002 Gunderloch "Nackenheim Rothenberg" Spatlese Riesling
Nose is quite closed, but there is some citrus peel in the background. The palate is lovely - rich fruit, a touch of spice and teasing sweetness. Probably needs 10 years to show its full potential though.
91/100

2002 Shaw & Smith "M3 Vineyard" Chardonnay
White florals, citrus and some nutty, mealy aromas. Palate is nice with touch of roundness to the mouth-feel and finishing with a little bit of warmth but otherwise quite restrained. I thought that this was pretty good for drinking in the near future.
88/100

1997 Blain Gagnard Batard Montrachet Grand Cru
Very complex nose, toast, butterscotch, peach and citrus. The star is the palate though, weight and power without any sense of heaviness. Long, intense and with layers of complexity and flavour. Probably close to its peak now and will drink well over the next 5-7 years.
93/100

2005 Epis Chardonnay
Lime and orange peel on the nose with some floral and peach hints. The palate is driven by the acid structure, with good length and elegance to it. It seems to be of high quality, but also lacks individuality and real character.
88/100

1976 Waterwheel Claret (Shiraz)
Some fragrant violet elements to the nose along with some earth and boot polish. Medium bodied palate, medium length, seemed as though everything was resolved, but it was doing more than just hanging on as there was still some good fruit presence. Not challenging, but enjoyable.
88/100

1985 Giacomo Borgogno Barolo Riserva
Lots of violets, smoked meat, red berries and black tea leaves. The flavour on the palate is deep and persistent. Tannins are not overly aggressive, but really does need to be with food to show its very best. I didn't quite like this one as much as the 1982 that I had earlier this year but I still thought it excellent.
91/100

1994 Tim Adams "Aberfeldy" Shiraz
Blackberry, lots of toasty vanilla oak as well as a large dose of peppermint and menthol. Palate is not as big as I expected after the nose, there is restraint evident. Seems reasonably well made and without anything to take offense at, but lacking in magic and personality. Will go another 5-10 years.
88/100

2005 Wendouree Shiraz Mataro
Blackberry, spice, cherry, milk chocolate and vanilla. Palate is medium bodied but with great depth of fruit and a lovely velvet mouth-feel. Really approachable now but should age well over 10 years as well. To me, just the slightest touch better than the excellent 2004 Shiraz Mataro tried a few months ago.
91/100

1974 Baileys "Vintage Port"
Corked.
NR/100

2004 Domaine Chandon "ZD" Blancs de Blanc
Apple and citrusy nose, very clean. Palate is also crisp, clean and fault free but they may as well have named it ZD for Zero Depth rather than Zero Dosage. Very much lacking in interest.
85/100