The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Pinot Here Pinot There

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Barry Fowden

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:48 am

Germany

Pinot Here Pinot There

by Barry Fowden » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:13 am

A while ago I took part in a blind tasting of over 20 Pinot Noir/Spätburgunder Wines.

About a third were from Austria..another third from Germany....the rest from elsewhere....
What struck me was the very different interpretation of the grape and how different people go about marking in this type of tasting. I went along with 'Burgundy' style in my mind...that to me is what the wines from South Germany are about. My marking at the tasting was higher for the Germans than for the Austrians..Why?..because, although the Austrians were good wines...they were made in the 'Austrian' style.....and were not what I was expecting for the grape. Tasted on their own..I think I would have marked them higher..but in the context..I swayed towards the 'German' style everytime.
Others at the tasting marked them well..but not the German wines as they did not know the style..with the Austrians more similar to the other styles they drank regularly.The Austrians add a small amount of another grape, the Zweigelt I believe.

I never have problems with other grapes in comparitive tastings..but the Pinot Noir is Holy Grail to me.

Any thoughts...comments?

Barry
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

Re: Pinot Here Pinot There

by Marc D » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:51 am

Barry, I have very little experience with Austrian or German Pinot Noir. Could you expand a little bit what the difference is between the two styles?

Thanks,
Marc
no avatar
User

Barry Fowden

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:48 am

Germany

by Barry Fowden » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:24 pm

Hi Marc...well..generally the German wines are very similar to those in Burgundy....softer..enticing..
The Austrians seem to want to produce a slightly harder wine...as I mentioned..they add a little 'sumthin'..that's their choice..it's just I love the other style...and have difficult being objective....maybe I am unfair to them..as I think the Austrians are producing some 'different' wines to the world.
My point was that I went with a pre-defined idea of what I wanted from the tasting...and was only 50% pleased..
I have no problems with Cabernet Sauvignon or Syrah..etc..
only with my first love. Maybe I'm answering my own question.... :lol:

Barry
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:38 am

Barry Fowden wrote:I never have problems with other grapes in comparitive tastings..but the Pinot Noir is Holy Grail to me.

Any thoughts...comments?

In theory I agree about the downside to blending pinot noir. Although just for the record it does get mixed with gamay in certain circumstances in Burgundy.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:51 am

I don't know if this is still done, but from the WINEGRAPE GLOSSARY (link on Winelover's Page Front page).

LÉON MILLOT:
(Pronounced "lay-on mee-oh"). Earlier (September) ripening french-american hybrid red wine grape than, although derived from same cross, Marechal Foch below. Also known as Millot. Extensively grown in the Alsace region of France where it is known as "le medicin du vin" (or "wine doctor") for its ability to increase the color intensity of a red wine (eg. Pinot Noir) without perceptibly altering the quality. Also extensively planted in the Northeast and Midwest USA. Some consider the wine to be superior to Foch because of more distinct berry aromas. Best harvested at pH 3.4 and 19+ Brix in warmer climates if Carotene-caused discoloration is to be avoided. Market demand thought to be hampered by lack of name recognition.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.