The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Eek! Fumigated

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Eek! Fumigated

by Brian K Miller » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:46 pm

We (my small cluster of townhouse condos) need to get fumigated for termites! Thank God my wine collection is in glass bottles and thus safe (all the food in paper or plastic has to be removed). They merely suggested turning the bottles on the side just in case.

Oh well. At least we are having a serious cool spell, which means having the air conditioner off for two days won't be a problem.

Termites are nasty little critters. :cry:
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Eek! Fumigated

by James Roscoe » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:51 pm

Those bottles are toast. The fumigation will kill the wine. I don't know who you were talking to, but you need to get rid of that wine or store it some place safe. Just send it to Maryland, 3803 Poe Ct. :roll: :lol:
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:54 pm

Don't trust him, Brian! He has also recently offered to "store" wine for another Forumite who will be traveling to the States in a few months. I am pretty sure that several bottles would be "broken in shipping"!
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:03 pm

Seriously, Cynthia, will I have a problem?
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:09 pm

Brian, I would of course take a damp cloth to the bottle before and after opening, but there is no danger from the stuff they are using to kill the little buggers off with. In fact this stuff should be put into the ground, and not sprayed into the air. so no problem. About the treatment, they should treat the perimeter of the house inside and out.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:11 pm

Brian, I'm not 100% sure, so maybe you should direct your question at Herr Professor Doktor Yaniger, our resident synthocorkologist, but corks do breathe and, at times, are not always completely sealed. In addition, there will be residue on the bottles. Being the worry wart that I am, I'd get my stash to less toxic pastures.

When I lived in married student housing at Rutgers in Piscataway, NJ, they'd spray for cockroaches every couple of months. Anything I couldn't get into an airtight bags was dumped. Even then I tossed anything that might absorb the gases, e.g. flour etc.

Addendum: Per Bob, are they spraying or squirting the stuff into the walls and foundations? You did say fumigate which to me means gas mask time.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:18 pm

They are tenting us. Meaning myself and my three dogs will be decamping for two days. I was told a couple of weeks ago that it would be ok, this was confirmed by a telephone call to the fumigator (and confirmed in the instructions sheet) but as the time approaches (7:00 a.m. tomorrow morning), I wonder. This would be a very bad evening, as I have about 150+ bottles that would need to be moved.

"Never prepared" is my life motto. :oops:
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:27 pm

I was just kidding. Although I do agree with the advice about cleaning the bottles. I am no expert though.

(Cynthia, I can't believe you called me out like that?!!!!!! I thought we were friends? Don't you want some "broken" bottles?)
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:30 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:They are tenting us. Meaning myself and my three dogs will be decamping for two days. I was told a couple of weeks ago that it would be ok, this was confirmed by a telephone call to the fumigator (and confirmed in the instructions sheet) but as the time approaches (7:00 a.m. tomorrow morning), I wonder. This would be a very bad evening, as I have about 150+ bottles that would need to be moved.

"Never prepared" is my life motto. :oops:

Any chance you could put them in cases and the cases into large plastic garbage bags?
And now what?
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:30 pm

I hoped such, James. Just some last minute jitters.

I hate pest control chemicals. To be honest, I would rather replace plants in my mini-garden than use pesticides. Ants, I tolerate in my kitchen, even :oops: .

Termites, though....gotta do it. :cry:
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:31 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:
Any chance you could put them in cases and the cases into large plastic garbage bags?

I'm putting them in the closet. I might be able to at least cover them.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:34 pm

Are the bottles just on racks, in refrigeration unit, or what? Just to be absolutely on the safe side, without having to move 150 bottles out of condo, how about this compromise? If just on racks or in cases, I'd try to wrap them up. For loose/racked bottles, go to wine store and get cardboard cases. Put cases in plastic garbage bags, roll, tape securely. Is this absolutely airtight? No, but would ensure much lessened contact with the cork.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:36 pm

Gary's quicker than I am!!!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:04 pm

Gary, I have never heard of fumigating for termites. Termites are ground dwellers, except when they swarm to form a new colony. At that time they do grow wings and look like flying ants without the pinched waist. When they swarm, there should be lots and lots of them in one location, but fumigating should not be the method of killing them. a normal can of bug spray should do the trick. At least it did for me some years ago when I had a swarm.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:08 pm

I have often seen houses tented for termites in the deep South. Yes they are ground-dwellers, but when they move upwards into the wood of a house or other building, then simply treating the ground and not the structure is inadequate to kill the infestation.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:19 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Gary, I have never heard of fumigating for termites. Termites are ground dwellers, except when they swarm to form a new colony. At that time they do grow wings and look like flying ants without the pinched waist. When they swarm, there should be lots and lots of them in one location, but fumigating should not be the method of killing them. a normal can of bug spray should do the trick. At least it did for me some years ago when I had a swarm.

Beats the heck out of me. I'm just going with what Brian is saying. He indicates that they are tenting and fumigating. Now, there were folks here who offered to do the same for me. Maybe it's a California thing (scam)?
And now what?
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:23 pm

Robert, treating the perimeter lays down a barrier that the termite has to travel through to return to the colony. The Termite has no defense against dessication and therefore can not stay away from the colony where there is sufficient moisture to let it live. They come and go from the soil into the house to feed and return. when they pass through the barrier and carry it back to the colony they die and kill others too. Or so I am under the impression of.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:25 pm

I'm just sayin' that I have seen quite a few tented homes in my years in Georgia and Florida, and they don't tent for the massive roaches! :shock:
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:29 pm

Not disputing you Robert, but wonder why they do it that way. Maybe southern termites are different than Ky termites.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:59 pm

I think they are just more prolific down South.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:30 am

Robert R. wrote:I think they are just more prolific down South.
Termites, poisonous snakes and cockroaches don't live around here. :)
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:41 am

Bob Henrick wrote:Gary, I have never heard of fumigating for termites. Termites are ground dwellers, except when they swarm to form a new colony. At that time they do grow wings and look like flying ants without the pinched waist. When they swarm, there should be lots and lots of them in one location, but fumigating should not be the method of killing them. a normal can of bug spray should do the trick. At least it did for me some years ago when I had a swarm.

There's more than one type of termite, Bob. From what I understand, one is the subterranean type you refer to, another is airborne and looks for decaying wood to live in. California is heavily affected with the latter and in areas that don't get winter freezes which is much of California, termite fumigation is routine preventative maintenance. In So Cal beach areas like where I used to live, nearly every time a home is sold it's fumigated before being turned over to the new owner.
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:58 am

HPD Yaniger isn't around right now, but I do recall that he said once that a sound cork has one headspace's worth of gas exchange per decade. Let's make an estimate, shall we?

5mL headspace / 3650 days = 1.4 microliters of gas exchange per day. Even if the bottles were swimming in lethal poison the amount would be almost undetectable. Of course, the concentration of the insecticide is probably on the order of 1%, so you're really getting into the nanoliters in terms of actual exposure. You're almost certainly getting more than that from leftover vapor in the house, or pesticides on produce, or any of a number of other sources. Maybe if you had a severely leaking bottle, you might be concerned, but in practice there are so many other sources of poison that are more likely.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:13 pm

wnissen wrote:5mL headspace / 3650 days = 1.4 microliters of gas exchange per day. Even if the bottles were swimming in lethal poison the amount would be almost undetectable. Of course, the concentration of the insecticide is probably on the order of 1%, so you're really getting into the nanoliters in terms of actual exposure.

Good post. Only believers in homeopathy need fear (but then they would think it cured poisoning, right?). But of course we all know some corks are less sound. For my peace of mind I'd do the plastic garbage bag method, its virtually no effort if you're moving bottles anyway.
Next