The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Burgundy Burgled

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Burgundy Burgled

by Bill Hooper » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:05 pm

Some twisted f*cker broke into the basement and made off with around $1000 worth of MY wine last week. They had pretty good taste too. The stupid bastard(s) didn't grab any Bordeaux, but made off with Burgundy, Austrian and German Riesling, old GV (my f-ing birthday wines!), Spaetburgunder and Lieu-dit Alsace. I guess I'm lucky that they didn't like Jura, the Loire, and Alsace Grand Cru.
I hope all the bottles are corked!
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Burgundy Burgled

by Rahsaan » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:11 pm

WOW! My condolences.

Did they take anything else or was this purely a wine heist?

Do you think it was premeditated?
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:11 pm

Yikes!

That sucks, Bill.

Do know exactly what wines were stolen?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:18 pm

And that's all they took...IOW, the sole purpose of their illegitimate visit was to steal wine?

Probably a neighbor, which makes the violation worse. This happened to a friend of mine once, and stupidly at one point he thought some bottles were missing but wasn't sure, then a month or two went by before he checked the same boxes again, and more had been removed. It was pretty easy for him to presume the Italian exchange student renting a spare room in back of the house next door, with a good view of my friend going in and out of his storage area carrying bottles, had just been helping himself over time. Mostly he got top Cal Cabs and 1st-3rd growth Bordeaux.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:24 pm

Bummer, Bill. I looked into insuring my wine collection, but the premiums were really too high to make it worthwhile. We rely on an excellent security system, which has worked well for many years.

My condolences.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:38 pm

I don't think it was premeditated. Nothing else is missing (yet), so I figured they just grabbed what they could carry (a little over a case) and took off. If they had planned it, the Palmers and Margaux would be gone. It just so happens that most of my wine is Riesling and Burgundy, so probability was on the side of those wines being taken. Nothing was catalouged, so I'm still trying to figure out exactly what is gone. With more time it could've been much worse. It was probably a drug addict or some kid (or combination of the two) looking for some quick booty.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:55 pm

My condolences Bill. We were burglarized about 17 years ago, while on vacation. They took selected items from my son's comic book and sporting card collections. They also went into my wife's dresser and took costume jewelery, yet left the real gold stuff. :?
I think fixing the broken lock and door jam was more costly than the items taken.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:53 pm

That's awful, especially since the items are irreplaceable--not like a camera or some such where you could collect insurance and go out and buy a new one. Seems like odd stuff to steal--where would you fence it?

My condolences. As you said--may every last bottle be corked.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:06 pm

Can I just say that this SUCKS!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:18 pm

My sympathies. I once had long-playing record albums stolen (this dates me) en route from Michigan to Nebraska--took only the folk music albums such as Ian and Sylvia, Limeliters, Glenn Yarbrough and left classical, jazz and musicals. Now with all the reissues on DVD and compact disc I could replace some that were not available at the time.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:46 pm

I hope the stolen wine was corked!
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:28 pm

Bill,
Have you checked to see if your homeowner's insurance will cover this loss? If you've got any sort of docmentation or photographic evidence, you can probably make a claim (which, admittedly, won't get you your wine back, but might blunt the pain a bit).

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:22 pm

Not to trivialize Bill's loss, I'd be hesitant/wary about submitting a $1,000 loss to my insurance company. I suspect his homeoner policy has a ~$500 deductible, so that halves his loss. However, submitting a claim may make your renewal policy more expensive and if you choose to shop your insurance at renewal, could make it more difficult to buy at affordable rates. If you trust your agent, ask before you claim.
Redwinger, a believer in really big deductibles
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:21 pm

I have no records or documentation. That will learn me I guess. Plus, all in all, I'm rather lucky I guess (at least I'd tasted all of the wines previously), but it might be time to invest in a bear-trap or two.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:54 am

Sorry to hear about the loss. A tangentially related story from me: when I moved to my current apartment some things were stolen from our moving van. Six shelves from my bookcase (which is why I have three huge gaping holes in it) and a small box with a couple bottles of Muscadet and a few books. I don't know what anyone will do with a couple shelves but that has been a huge inconvenience for me. I fully understand someone stealing Muscadet - even robbers can have good taste. But most annoying of all is that besides the cheap/crappy Fantasy books stolen were two books that I really love: William Polk's Passing Brave and his translation of Labid's Golden Ode. Both are a bit difficult to find and cost alot. :(

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.