The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2003 Musar Cuvee Blanc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

WTN: 2003 Musar Cuvee Blanc

by ClarkDGigHbr » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:44 am

I purchased a bottle of 2003 Musar Cuvee Blanc ($15, 12.5% ABV) at a big wine shop in downtown Portland recently. I found this to be a rather light-bodied wine with fruit-and-herbal aromas. The fruit taste reminded me of grapefruit and zest, and it had an herbal finish. This wine actually tasted better the second day (recorked under gas and stored in the refrigerator). I can honestly say I was not particularly fond of this wine, which was made from Obaideh grapes.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2003 Musar Cuvee Blanc

by Jenise » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:52 pm

Clark, apparently the magic of Musar white is what happens with some age (and even then an acquired taste)--I've been told my 97's are still too young to drink.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:16 pm

Jenise wrote:Clark, apparently the magic of Musar white is what happens with some age (and even then an acquired taste)--I've been told my 97's are still too young to drink.

If they are the Musars proper rather than their second wines (Cuvée Musar or Hochar Père & Fils) then yes, your '97s are too young. I have no idea how the second wines age. I have never really enjoyed Musar's second wines. When I tasted the '03 Cuvée Blanc I thought it at the same time tart, substanceless, yet oddly chemical and sweet. It seems strange that a winery can make such sublime wine yet their lower end bottlings are so boring if not outright bad!

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:36 pm

Otto, yes, mine are the big dogs. I've only had the second label once, and I couldn't see past the VA.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:18 pm

Jenise wrote:Clark, apparently the magic of Musar white is what happens with some age (and even then an acquired taste)--I've been told my 97's are still too young to drink.

Jenise, I suspect that your Musar white wines would be just fine with sufficient decanting. By sufficient I mean 10 - 12 hours. I took a 98 to an offline a year or so ago in Cincinnati and told the wine guy at the restaurant to open it as soon as he got to work., That happened to be 14 hours before the wine was consumed, and believe it or not, it was singing. I have not had the 97, but I have some of the 96 and a case or so of the 98, and would give either 12 hours decanting.
Last edited by Bob Henrick on Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:47 am

Bob Henrick wrote:Jenise, I suspect that your Musar white wines would be just fine with sufficient decanting. By sufficient I mean 10 - 12 hours. I took a 98 to an offline a year or so ago in Cincinnati and told the wine guy at the restaurant to open it as soon as he got to work., That happened to be 14 hours before the wine was consumed, and believe it or not, it was singing. I have not had the 97, but I have some of the p6 and a case or so of the 98, and would give either 12 hours decanting.

Bob, the '97 is a more forward and fruity vintage than the '98, so it drinks surprisingly well with even just a couple hour's decanting. But the thing is that even with a longer decanting it won't taste like it will in 5-10 years. Being approachable now is not the same being mature.

-O-
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:39 am

I know that Serge thinks the whites are his best wines, but they have always been a bit lost on me. I much prefer an aged Burg or even white Rhone, and certainly a decent Riesling to the Musar whites.

I've tasted old whites a couple of times with Serge himself and it is still...eh, so?
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:00 am

Otto, as I said to Jenise, I have never had the 97, therefore I am not directly aware of the difference between it and the bookend vintages around it. I have no doubt that you are correct, and if I get the chance I will pick up a 97 from wherever I can find it. Checking the importers web page I see that he does not have the 97 either. He does have the 1990 white for $74, and I am tempted to see if I can get one from him through the Kentucky distributor. (can't afford more than one or two) Do I recall correctly that the 90 is one of your favs?
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:28 pm

Bill, it's ok not to like the stuff! At least you've tried them with age before dismissing them.

Bob Henrick wrote:Do I recall correctly that the 90 is one of your favs?

An emphatic yes! It's very young still, but I think will turn out to be as good as the '75 and '69.