The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Vino/Vittles

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Vino/Vittles

by Florida Jim » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:44 am

Left over coq au vin:
2004 A. et P. de Villaine, Bourgogne (rouge) La Digoine:
I found this was leaking in the cellar and, rather than continue to age it as I will its brothers, I opened it; very clean, crisp aromas of red fruit and mineral; medium weight, crisp flavors follow the nose, excellent integration and texture; good length. Young to be sure, but much better than on release and showing no signs of damage. 12.5% alcohol, imported by Kermit Lynch and about $22 on release; seriously under priced.
Chosen on heritage. Good but not great with the dish which seems to ask for Burgundy with a little age on it. Still, a tough argument to serve the meal with anything else.

At dinner with friends, the following courses were served in this order; sautéed shrimp with lemon/butter sauce, fresh baby lima beans with mushrooms and feta, a potato and onion frittata:
The following wines were served in this order:
2002 Luneau-Papin, Muscadet Clos des Allées:
This very full bodied for Muscadet with clean scents of mineral, citrus and white fruit; flavors that echo the nose with great cut, a satin texture and an endless finish. This wine never disappoints. 12%alcohol, imported by Louis/Dressner and about $8 on sale; I bought several cases and it still isn’t enough.
2004 A. et P. de Villaine, Bourgogne (blanc) Les Clous:
A lightweight, easy drinking chardonnay with some depth and complexity and more length than expected. Needs time in the cellar but was a great alternative to so many ponderous chardonnays in the market these days. 12.5% alcohol, imported by Kermit Lynch and about $20; I’d buy it again.
The Muscadet was superb with the dish; seafood and Muscadet is a no –brainer. It also went well with the bean dish although I preferred the Clous as it was lighter and had less body thus making a better balanced match. I had no Muscadet left when the frittata was served but the Clous was nicely balanced against it in the mouth and brought out some of the potato earthiness. All and all, good combinations with the Muscadet-shrimp pairing being outstanding.

After the meal with cheese:
1990 Sullivan, Cabernet Sauvignon:
A bit of VA (which blows off) and some shower curtain smells but aside from those, this is beautiful wine with great fruit, a fresh delivery, some bottle bouquet and development and a very long, saturated finish. On release, this was one of the most tannic wines I had ever tasted – it is nothing like that now as it has lovely balance and is not drying. Decanted off substantial sediment and really showing well. 13.2% alcohol and about $35 on release; I won’t buy it again but only because I don’t want to wait for 17 years for any wine.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars