The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Three strikes! (questions on bottle flaws)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Nicholas Grenier

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:24 pm

Portland, ME

Three strikes! (questions on bottle flaws)

by Nicholas Grenier » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:12 am

Last night I opened three different bottles (luckily cheapies I had been intending to "get rid of"). Each had a unique and major flaw. After strike three, I gave up, partially out of fear of what would happen next. Some of these flaws were unfamiliar to me and I was hoping that someone could illuminate the cause of the off odors/tastes.

Attempt #1: 2004 San Fereolo Dolcetto di Dogliani "Valdiba" - Dominic opened the bottle and blind tasted me. I didn't get anything on the nose (granted I had been chopping up cipollini onions and basil just prior) but the palate was extremely harsh. The cork looked a bit darker than usual and smelled like wet cardboard. I'm assuming that this was just a heavily corked bottle.

Attempt #2: 2004 Toscolo Chianti Classico - absolutely no fruit aromas...again, a very lifeless yet harsh palate. After a minute of breathing, it started showing a distinct note of dish detergent on the nose! I've never used soap on my wine glasses so I ruled out that possibility.

Attempt #3: 2004 Brintet Bourgogne Rouge - overwhelming aromas of burnt bacon and burnt popcorn. I didn't dare taste the wine at this point. Could it have been a result of aging in poorly treated oak?

I had a terrible time afterwards trying to get the harsh flavors out of my mouth. I had to suck on a lemon wedge to cleanse it.

I wonder what I've done to upset the wine gods!
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: Three strikes! (questions on bottle flaws)

by JC (NC) » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:39 am

The first one does sound corked and the third one possible overly charred wood in the barrels. Not sure about #2 flaw.