The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: 2000 Castello di Bossi Girolamo Toscana

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

TN: 2000 Castello di Bossi Girolamo Toscana

by geo t. » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:01 pm

2000 Castello di Bossi Girolamo Toscana IGT, 13.5% alc.: This deep, dark garnet beauty is all Merlot, and damned if Kim and I don’t like it a lot. It exudes a lovely perfumed nose of black currant, blackberry, black cherry and dark chocolate, with subtle floral overtones and just a hint of stemminess way down deep; these impressions follow through on the palate with wonderful depth, excellent structure and a lingering finish that should grow even longer as the silky tannins gradually evaporate over the next several years. I don’t often use “classy” to describe a wine, but in this case, it fits. In fact, I find it almost reminiscent of a fine Ridge something or other from the early to mid ‘90s, particularly in the way that it makes a real style statement. A thoroughly modern wine in the best sense of the term. Made from 100% Merlot, produced in La Cantina, located 875-1,060 ft. above sea level, with a western exposure and a clay and stone soil composition; the vineyard consists of 45 acres planted from 1970 through 1995, with a density of 2,160 vines per acre. The vines are planted in the Spur pruned cordon method, with yields of 2 tons per acre. Macerated for 18-20 days, with pump overs for extraction; aged for two years in Allier barriques, followed by an additional 3 years in bottle prior to release from the winery.

Imported by Winebow Inc., New York, NY

Reporting from Day-twah,

geo t.
Nunquam Spuemus