The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2 Bordeaux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

WTN: 2 Bordeaux

by RichardAtkinson » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:27 pm

2004 Chateau Haut Beysac ( Haut Medoc du Haut Beysac)

A rustic table wine. Nose is earthy with red / black fruit, a touch herbal w/ hints of tobacco and coffee. Noticeable tannic structure and a good acidity make it a great substitution for sangiovese. I've successfully subbed this wine for every dish I would normally serve w/ chianti.

Its a tough little wine also. You can re-cork it, let it sit for a week and come back to it with very little degradation. Didn't mean to do that, but I forgot about it. Figured ..what the heck...tasted it and it was fine. Can't think of single sangio in that price range you could do the same with. Our new House Wine.

Worth every penny @ $11.00.

2001 Les Tourelles de Longueville / Pauillac

Very nice medium to full bodied red. Earthy, cedary nose with brambly dark fruit. Silky tannins, well balanced oak with currant and red fruit on the palate. 40% Cab Sauvignon, 50% Merlot, 10% Cab Franc. Very nice finish.

At $28.00, I've already purchased a few more.

Richard
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2 Bordeaux

by Jenise » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:29 pm

We just drank our last '96 Tourelles last year. Very earthy and more rustic than elegant, but it showed good breeding and the last bottle was the best of all. The 01's should have a similar lifespan.
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

Re: WTN: 2 Bordeaux

by Clinton Macsherry » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:37 am

Jenise--
I'm still sitting on a '95 Tourelles, which I'm assuming should hold (maybe improve, even though a second wine?) a bit longer. Do you thing differently?

Anyone--
Is this the usual cepage for Tourelles?

Richard--
Thanks for the tip on the Haut Beysac. I'll look for it. (Your comments viz the sangio comparisons are interesting.)
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !