The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2xRed Burg, Graham's VP 1970, Suduiraut, Puglia

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: 2xRed Burg, Graham's VP 1970, Suduiraut, Puglia

by Saina » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:06 pm

Bouchard Père et Fils Beaune 1er Cru Les Grèves Vigne de L'Enfant Jesus 2003 13,5% 32,50€ (½ bottle)

Sweet and dark toned nose, but still with lots of Pinosity. The palate is big, rather tannic, with fair acidity for the year - it has more fat on it than I would ideally prefer, but I still think it tastes like Burgundy (and in a profile similar to the few other Baby Jesuses I've tried) so I think it is a success for this (to my tastes) horrible year.

Domaine de Montille Pommard 1er Cru Les Pézerolles 2002 12% 71,90€

Just a quick sample unfortunately - as I think that a magnum would have been a better amount! Very light colour. It smells extremely natural and unforced. It has great pinosity and a wonderful concentration of sweet, red toned fruit (strawberry especially), yet it is still light and savoury and earthy. The palate is medium bodied, yet still full of flavour and with strong minerality, delineation and pin-point precicion. Just lovely and so very pure. I love it. If any rich person wants to buy me a case of this, I'll send my address via PM. ;)

Why is it that some wines (like this) taste perfectly ripe at 12%abv yet I often read that ripeness needs high abvs? Ok, so this can be seen as a bit of a trolly question, but still, I would really like to understand why in so many places high alcohol levels are justified by the requirements of ripeness when this wine shows that even at a lower level it can be achieved? If anyone bothers to answer this question, please write in simple sentences that even a humanist can understand. :)

Castello Monaci Artas Primitivo Salento IGT 2004

Very dark red. Rather brambly nose with lots of sweet fruit - rather anonymous and rather too alcoholic and oaky: this doesn't have a sense of place. The taste has very good acidity countering the huge sweet fruit, but there is too much concentration and oak. The aftertaste is hot, but on the more positive side it is long and has some very attractive ripe berry aromas. Technically well made, and with some depth and complexity so it might be very enjoyable to others, but this was so far removed from my "comfort zone" that I really didn't enjoy it.

Château Suduiraut 2002

A rather oaky nose, but still with a refreshing and bright nose of citrus; but little botrytis. The palate is bright and acidic, refreshing though sweet. Long and refreshing finish. Nice stuff!

Graham Porto Vintage 1970

The impression I got was that this bottle was quite a bit more mature than what others have reported on. The colour was already turning a bit pink and wasn't very deep. Decanted four hours: The aromatics are full on and are typically Grahamsian: very sweet and red toned fruit, but it also had lovely savoury nuances of cedar and spice. Considering what I have read, I was a little bit surprised to see this fully integrated with only four hour's decanting: fully integrated alcohol, not spiky at all, but showing a rather mature profile with resolved but still well supporting structure. The aftertaste becomes as spicy as the smell and lasts forever. There comes a very delectable appley taste during the aftertaste. What a lovely port.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: 2xRed Burg, Graham's VP 1970, Suduiraut, Puglia

by Saina » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:54 pm

With my Port-loving friend who is visiting Finland briefly we opened up one more Port.

Quinta do Noval Colheita 1986 Bottled 2006; 20,5% abv; 37,90€

Pinkish-orange colour. The nose is floral, pleasantly (not overly) woody, with some citrus/orange and strawberry notes also. The palate is very sweet but with good acidity. The 20,5% alcohol is a little noticable (was not decanted), but is not disturbing. Refreshing and un-cloying aftertaste. Nice!

Some more pics of the bottles:

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:27 pm

Which Muscadet do you have there, Otto?
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:45 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Which Muscadet do you have there, Otto?

• 2006 Drouet Fils Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine La Sancive Sur Lie - France, Loire Valley, Pays Nantais, Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine (9/22/2007)
    Mostly for cooking, but a quick taste proved this to be a very servicable Muscadet, if an overtly fruity one. Attractively light and nicely acidic though not zippy. Certainly not the best Muscadet, but very adequate.

The only Muscadet available in these waters. :(

-O-
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:44 pm

oooh Ooooh..........what are the vintage reports of the area Otto? Nothing in my new Wine Report `07 from Tom S.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:00 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:oooh Ooooh..........what are the vintage reports of the area Otto? Nothing in my new Wine Report `07 from Tom S.

I'll send you a link via PM in just a sec! :)

-O-