The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Outer Banks wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Outer Banks wines

by Florida Jim » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:10 pm

We spent several days with friends at the Outer Banks, in the town of Hatteras. I think it is safe to say that I am pleased to have seen it and never need to again. What was once a series of quaint fishing villages are now acres upon acres of 6 bedroom “beach houses.”

But the trip did three good things: it reminded me of the beaches of northeastern Florida, especially around St. Augustine, and rekindled my desire to go there (fortunately, they’re closer); it gave me a chance to eat the freshest seafood I have had in years; and, I got to drink some nice wine with some nice people.

Quick takes on the wines:

2002 Allemand, Cornas: closing down; this may be an early drinker but it isn’t now.

2005 Clos de la Roilette, Fleurie ‘Cuvee Tardive:’ Ah yes, no, make that AH YES! There is a reason I buy I case of this every year; showing quite well with years to go.

2001 Edmunds St. John, Los Robles Viejos: Complicated wine – sometimes generous, sometimes sneaking around on your palate, and every fourth or fifth sip, just great. Heaven knows where it’s going but I’m glad I’m along for the ride.

1992 Fonseca, Port: Stupid young. And as it so happens, it will get you stoopid.

2004 Giacosa, Nebbiolo d’Alba: Cherries and dust; like a Greg Brown song when he’s happy (he is happy sometimes, isn’t he?).

2002 Huet, Vouvray Demi-sec ‘Le Haut Lieu:’ God awful. This might wind-up being great when I’m dead but it plain sucks now. Not what I expected – down the drain.

2000 J.P. Droin, Chablis ‘Vaudesir:’ Excellent upon opening with a floral note that just captured all your attention and focused it on the forthcoming plunge into minerals and citrus – but then the oak started to come into it and it became simply a good wine.

2004 and 2005 Dom. Pepiere, Muscadet ‘Clos des Briords:’ Any one who likes crisp and flavorful wine should seriously consider buying cases of these wines. Its cheap, it’s superb and it’s that way every vintage.

2001 Colloquy, Pinot Noir: This is the effort of the Westcoast Wine Network project from the Russian River Valley – well, it ain’t Burgundy but if more Russian River producers made wine like this, I’d buy it. A real sense of character and place with ripe fruit and good intensity – and excellent acidity. I would never have thought it but I am pleasantly surprised.

2006 Dry Stack Cellars, Sauvignon Blanc ‘Rosemary’s Block:’ We had this with fresh swordfish (as in caught within the hour) and it was the pairing I most enjoyed the whole week. The power of the wine was absolutely perfect with the richness of the fish. A meal I would love to repeat but that was my last bottle and we ain’t catchin’ swordfish in the mountains.

2005 Janesse, Cotes du Rhone: Nice grenache – those of you who know me know exactly what that means.

2004 Palacios, Bierzo ‘Petalos:’ Not its finest hour; I think these were probably made to drink younger and I will finish my remaining bottles quickly.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Outer Banks wines

by Dale Williams » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:24 am

The Outer Banks were gorgeous when I was a teen in the 70s. But even by 80s development was really hitting hard. Still, there is the ocean and the seafood....

Florida Jim wrote:2005 Clos de la Roilette, Fleurie ‘Cuvee Tardive:’ Ah yes, no, make that AH YES! There is a reason I buy I case of this every year; showing quite well with years to go.

Well, I only bought a couple, but I think I'll hold off on drinking any.

2004 Giacosa, Nebbiolo d’Alba: Cherries and dust; like a Greg Brown song when he’s happy (he is happy sometimes, isn’t he?).

Description would work well for the 2005, also

2002 Huet, Vouvray Demi-sec ‘Le Haut Lieu:’ God awful. This might wind-up being great when I’m dead but it plain sucks now. Not what I expected – down the drain.

Now this one I won't agree on. I really like the '02 LHL. I thought last one was closing down, but still had pleasure.

2004 and 2005 Dom. Pepiere, Muscadet ‘Clos des Briords:’ Any one who likes crisp and flavorful wine should seriously consider buying cases of these wines. Its cheap, it’s superb and it’s that way every vintage.

You left out a clause- didn't you mean "Its cheap, it’s superb, it ages, and it’s that way every vintage."?

Thanks, as always, for great notes
Last edited by Dale Williams on Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:57 am

Dale Williams wrote:The Outer Banks were gorgeous when I was a teen in the 90s. But even by 80s development was really hitting hard. Still, there is the ocean and the seafood....

Times have changed.
If you get off on the national park sand, away from all the towns and houses and try to get close enough to the water so that the surf hides the traffic noise, you can almost convince yourself you're alone. Any other formula puts you in the middle of a giant T-shirt shop.
And much as I love seafood, that isn't a good spot to eat.

Now this one I won't agree on. I really like the '02 LHL. I thought last one was closing down, but still had pleasure.

I'll trade you all the demi-sec I have from 2002, bottle for bottle, for the 2002 sec. I did not like it even a little.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:56 am

A nice offer considering the usual price differential! However, I didn't buy any 2002 secs (I love secs*, but don't buy secs). And the only LHL sec remaining on winesearcher is at a stupid price (twice what I paid for demi-secs).

*someone has to say it every time :)
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:08 pm

Dale Williams wrote:The Outer Banks were gorgeous when I was a teen in the 90s. But even by 80s development was really hitting hard. Still, there is the ocean and the seafood....

You doing a "Time's Arrow" and moving backward through time now, Dale?:P

Odilo Unverdorben
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:16 pm

Oops, edited to fix.
I never read Times Arrow, I think London Fields my only Mrtin Amis. Good?
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:19 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Oops, edited to fix.
I never read Times Arrow, I think London Fields my only Mrtin Amis. Good?

Well, I'll keep the quote in mine to archive your goof, Dale. :lol: Time's Arrow gets my vote for his best work, though London Fields is an excellent piece of fiction, too (and I certainly haven't read his full output).

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:15 am

Florida Jim wrote:2001 Edmunds St. John, Los Robles Viejos: Complicated wine – sometimes generous, sometimes sneaking around on your palate, and every fourth or fifth sip, just great. Heaven knows where it’s going but I’m glad I’m along for the ride.
Best, Jim

This is one of my favorites and have posted a number of favorable TN. We opened our umteenth bottle yesterday and it was a very strange experience. Nice nose dominated by the moe, but on the palate the fruit turned tart and the acidity was out of control/shrill. Put the cork back in and will revisit later today. Perhaps some low level TCA, but I'm doubtful about that.
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:42 pm

Florida Jim wrote:2001 Edmunds St. John, Los Robles Viejos: Complicated wine – sometimes generous, sometimes sneaking around on your palate, and every fourth or fifth sip, just great. Heaven knows where it’s going but I’m glad I’m along for the ride.

NJ and I are sipping on this now and couldn't agree more with your comments. It is a sneaky little critter that provides a mouthful of entertainment and we haven't even had it with food...yet.
Looks like the bottle I opened in October was just "off".
BP
Last edited by Redwinger on Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

by Clint Hall » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:38 am

Dale Williams wrote:A nice offer considering the usual price differential! However, I didn't buy any 2002 secs (I love secs*, but don't buy secs). And the only LHL sec remaining on winesearcher is at a stupid price (twice what I paid for demi-secs).

*someone has to say it every time :)

That's funny. I love the Huet demi-secs but don't buy them as they don't match all that well with food. Also funny, and nice, is that our local wine merchant apparently couldn't move his 2002 LDH secs so he marked them down, so I added more to my previous stash. They are a steal.