The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

[WTN + Question] Beltrame Friuli 2002 Cabernet Franc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

MattThr

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:25 am

UK

[WTN + Question] Beltrame Friuli 2002 Cabernet Franc

by MattThr » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:41 pm

Following my recent thread on wines to drink without food, I went to my local wine store to follow up on some of the suggestions. I asked for a Loire Cabernet Franc for drinking on its own and this was proffered instead.

=====

Dark purple colour in the glass.

Enticing smell of pencil box, leather and plums.

Palate a little disappointing - initial fruit flavour but quickly replaced by a vague taste of peppery spice and overwhelming pencils. Flavours don't last long.

Balance is curious. The acidity seems to vary wildly between mouthfuls from spot on to unpleasantly harsh. I thought at first the wine needed more time in the air but the swings persisted over several glasses on two nights. Tannins are pleasant - chewey yet soft.

=====

So, the question. Clearly this wasn't a great wine, although not actually bad as such. So what was likely wrong with it? Too old? Badly stored? Poorly made? Corked? Is the whole batch likely to be like this or did I get a duff bottle?

I bought it at a discounted price allegedly because the maker had changed the label style and this was now being sold off. I have a nasty suspicion that the salesman might have palmed off some wine he couldn't otherwise shift onto an obviously inexperienced and naïve customer. Could I be right?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: [WTN + Question] Beltrame Friuli 2002 Cabernet Franc

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:22 pm

MattThr wrote:I bought it at a discounted price allegedly because the maker had changed the label style and this was now being sold off. I have a nasty suspicion that the salesman might have palmed off some wine he couldn't otherwise shift onto an obviously inexperienced and naïve customer. Could I be right?

Matt, although it's unwise to buy entirely on vintage, 2002 in Friuli and the Veneto was a good one to miss. Rain, rain, rain, yielding light and short-lived wines. Cab Franc can be iffy anyway, and when you combine it with that vintage and five years of age ... well, let's just say that your notes suggest you pinned down this wine very well indeed.