The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Three Nights of Wine - Part III

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

WTN: Three Nights of Wine - Part III

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:42 pm

Giramondo Wine Adventures
Provence vs. Tuscany, Wednesday 9/26/07

2006 Podere Cannetta Vernaccia di San Gimignano: Light citrus and hay aromas followed by lemon spritz on the palate, this was wonderfully crisp and would make a fabulous summer sipper as well as a suitable pair with shelfish. $13.99 *

2005 Dom. du Pere Caboch CdP: Gentle floral and herbal notes are followed by an almost full body with a really nice, subdued oily texture, good acidity and a nice aftertaste. There was something regal yet approachable in this wine, if it were a person it would be Princess Diana (still living, of course!). One of the nicer whites I’ve ever had and one of my favorites of the night, I was more than willing to pick up a bottle at Rodmans for $23.99. *

2006 Saint Andre de Figuiere Cotes de Provence: Delicate, pale salmon color. The nose on this was amazing; sweet peach, melon and vanilla. The palate was creamy and buttery, very light bodied and not a whole lot of acidity to carry it. Overall this wine just didn’t have enough staying power, and it was my least favorite of the evening. $11.99

2004 Avignonesi IGT Rossi di Toscana: Upfront cherry and wood aromas followed by some blackcurrant. Somehow tasted smooth despite the tannins and acid not being very well integrated. Medium bodied. Tasted really nice with the pepper crusted goat cheese that was served, which surprised me at first but made sense when I tasted the wine later and realized that I had somehow missed the peppercorn nuances that were definitely present. $14.99 *

2003 Chapelle St. Arnoux Vacqueyras: Plum scents, round and plush but with enough structure that it cried out for food. At $10.99 this was probably the best value of the evening. *

2004 Avignonesi Vino Nobile de Montepulciano: Game, baked fruit, leather, and tar…quite a bit going on with this nose! The palate tasted of cherries and wood, was very round and well integrated. One of my wines of the night, along with the white CdP. $24.99 *

2005 Mas de Gourgonnier Les Baux de Provence: Tomatoes and strong black fruit on the nose, this was an “edgy” wine on the palate according to one woman at my table…something you’d drink after you broke up with your boyfriend. Don’t know about all that, but it was rather harsh in a strangely pleasing way. $16.99

2001 Querceto Chianti Classico Riserva: Black fruit on the nose, there was mild oak ono the palate, along with some peaty/mossy undertones and wet wool (someone else’s description, not mine). Astringent. $23.99

* I felt that each of these wines was interesting enough that I picked up a bottle of each the next evening, despite the not so great QPR on some of them.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt