The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: At last a Bouscassé (Madiran) with some charm

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

WTN: At last a Bouscassé (Madiran) with some charm

by Tim York » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:46 am

Château Bouscassé AOC Madiran Vieilles-Vignes 1997

It is the charm of the occasional smile of an austere, rugged and upright country gentleman. But I have never seen him smile before in other vintages.

C: Very dense. N: Well developed with strong notes of wet leather and a background of ripe acidic plum and some raspberry. P: Fully open with good body and “gras”, lots of dark fruit like damsons (but even some hints of "sweetness"), quite ripe tannic structure with a broadening and crescendo to the rear of palate and long diminuendo thereafter. Aromas are as on the nose with a touch meat and acidity is marked but appealing with a touch of minerality. A fine wine, 17,5/20, which went beautifully with rare steak and a rich périgordine sauce.

This is the first time I have glimpsed some hedonism in a Madiran and I am tempted to put it down to that ubiquitously “easy” vintage, 1997. And at barely 10 years old it is young for a Bouscassé VV to be showing expressively. Of course, really macho Madiran enthusiasts may mark it down for these reasons.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: At last a Bouscassé (Madiran) with some charm

by Saina » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:51 pm

Tim York wrote:Château Bouscassé AOC Madiran Vieilles-Vignes 1997

It is the charm of the occasional smile of an austere, rugged and upright country gentleman. But I have never seen him smile before in other vintages.

A very yummy wine for sure! They do begin to gain charm with (usually) more age, but I haven't yet had an example that would have lost tannins. The 1991s of Brumont are also charming now. Of course I do like a rugged and austere wine so I guess I can find the charm more readily in these wines. Madiran rocks!

FWIW, my note:
  • 1997 Château Bouscassé Madiran Vieilles Vignes - France, Southwest France, Madiran (8/25/2007)
    Bloody meat, violets and vegetation; nice juicy tannins and very refreshing and a bit wild in character. A very, very lovable wine for me. Though it was very enjoyable now in a primary way, I do think it needs more age to really shine as this is a brawny, structured and rugged wine at the moment.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: WTN: At last a Bouscassé (Madiran) with some charm

by Tim York » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:06 pm

Otto,

I had some 91s, I think the basic Montus and Bouscasse VV, and found the latter less charming than this though austerely fine and very enjoyable with confit de canard; the Montus was more forward and "international". I cannot remember when I finished them but I think that it was at a greater age than that of this 97. I have a couple of Montus Prestige 89 and one Bouscasse VV 88 awaiting my attention; a previous bottle of 88 was austere indeed.
Tim York