The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Chateau Musar 2000

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Holger B.

Rank

Cellar rat

Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:18 am

Sweden

WTN: Chateau Musar 2000

by Holger B. » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:26 am

The colour is a bit darker than usual, and when I decanted the wine, there was, as always, some fine sediment in the bottom.
After some hours of air to let the usual Musar funk blow off, the nose is beautiful, complex and filled with oriental spices, cedar, violets, figs, dung, dusty road and tar. The palate is quite tannic for a Musar, earthy, with nice acidity, some sweetness and good length.
Compared to the very nice 99, this vintage feels a bit colder, not as flirty, and a clearly younger wine. And if the 99 was kind of burgundic (for me at least), 2000 is more italian, almost like a Barbaresco; flowers, tar and a quite dominating scent of earth and dusty road. This vintage also resembles the Musar 1977 I had a while ago, it has the same earthy qualities.
Very nice, but I think I'll try to get my hands on a couple of 99's before they dissapear...

(Later in the evening, we have a Rioja, Baron de Lay Reserva 2001. It strikes me how many similarities the Musar and this Rioja has; the velvety but still acidic mouthfeel, the elegant tannins, the barnyard, the spicy nose. The Musar is, of course, the superior wine though)
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: Chateau Musar 2000

by Saina » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:58 pm

Holger, thanks for the note! The '00 hasn't arrived in these parts yet (and I have a slight feeling Alko won't buy any of it since there is still so much '99 on the shelves). It sounds fantastic, so I really hope that it will arrive. Like you, I have found similarities between old style Rioja and Musar: a slightly oxidative nature, a bit of volatility and bright yet sweet red toned fruit. Is this available in Systembolaget?

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:13 pm

Holger
Many thanks for this - which makes it sound very appealing. One of those wines where you can really enjoy the vintage (if not the bottle :evil: ) variation.
regards
Ian
no avatar
User

Holger B.

Rank

Cellar rat

Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:18 am

Sweden

by Holger B. » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:49 am

Yes Otto, Systembolaget just switched vintage this last week. The 99 has been available for long over a year now. I wonder if the white Musar is going to switch vintage as well, excited about that...
And Ian, I agree, it's always exciting to try a new Musar vintage, vintage variation is really part of the whole thing about this particular wine!