The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Mt. Baker Vineyards

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Mt. Baker Vineyards

by Jenise » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:28 pm

About ten miles east of Bellingham, Washington, and pretty much near the base of the mountain from which it takes its name, is little Mt. Baker Vineyards. I recently tasted through most of the available wines:

2003 Cabernet Reserve: Plum and black cherry fruit with earth and a hint of black licorice, excellent balance, good tannins. I purchased four. $28

2003 Merlot Reserve: Very pure and precise blackberry fruit, mocha and coffee notes. Beautiful proof that merlot belongs in this state. I purchased four. $24

2003 Syrah Reserve: Dried plum and bing cherry, dense and porty. 16.1% alcohol. Pass. $24

2006 Pinot Gris Barrel Select: Randy has a lot of local customers who like slightly sweet, lower acid wines, and this year’s PG will keep them happy. Simple, with a lightly sweet finish. $13

2005 Chasselas Dore: Chasselas is a grape they grow in cold places, like Switzerland, and Randy grows this in his vineyard at the base of our great mountain. Taut and dry, light fruit, refreshing. $11.50

2006 Chardonnay Reserve: Green apple and canned pear, no obvious oak, and a hint of residual sugar in the finish. Eh. $20

2005 Viognier Barrel Select: Strong perfumey nose with white peaches on the palate and a sharp, sweet finish. Eh. $15

2004 Late Harvest Viognier: Sweet and tangy, intense, pears and honey, peaches and chestnuts. Fairly interesting. $21 (for a 375 ml bottle)