The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Help picking a Cabernet Franc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Help picking a Cabernet Franc

by James Roscoe » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:04 pm

I have a wine dinner coming up on the 21st and the theme is cabernet franc. Our "wine diva" and organizer picked the theme because she claims she has never had a CF she's liked. She has been "in the bussines" for a while. Now I am going to check all the post-NiCool threads, but what are your suggestions? I'm not looking to spend more than $30 - $35. Throw those choices out there with reasons why I should take 'em.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Help picking a Cabernet Franc

by Rahsaan » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:15 pm

2003 or 2004 Chinon from Bernard Baudry. Tons of fruit and great class for under $30. 2005 is also a full ripe vintage likely to appeal to people who are afraid of Cabernet Franc, but I don't know how well they are drinking at the moment?
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:01 pm

i agree with the loire option; but would add 2005 - a really fine vintage. you don't need to restrict yourself to chinon either - all the francs were good that year. OR, you could try to find one from finger lakes or Michigan. maybe wineries would ship to you. http://www.michwine.com (article on Cab Franc by joel goldberg)and http://www.michiganwines.com (compitition results)have listings of good ones that would help you. i like cab franc myself - but agree about the CA ones.
david creighton
no avatar
User

jeremy johnson

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:28 pm

Louisville, KY

by jeremy johnson » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:18 pm

this may be a bit pricier than you are shooting for, but I HIGHLY recommend it if you want an amazing California Cab franc. The 1999 Peterson Winery Agraria "Big Barn Red" is drinking unbelievably well right now and there's not a whole lot left...I think it's around $52.

I really can't overstate how wonderful this wine is...

from the winemaker's site:

The seductive depth and enticing fruit flavors in our 1999 Agraria reflect the distinctive terroir of Bradford Mountain. This blend has all the intensity, complexity and layers of a fine Cabernet, combined with the unique taste sensations found when Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Petit Verdot are skillfully blended together.

Deliciously chewy tannins complement flavors of ripe dark-skinned berries, currants, plums and a lovely hint of cedar. Robust yet smooth, drinkable now yet fully age worthy, this intriguing wine offers a broad array of taste experiences.

Bradford Mountain Estate Vineyard:
On the western edge of Dry Creek Valley, is 32 acres on the very top of the mountain (elevation 1000 feet) planted in the 1980s. Great pains were taken to search for the proper varietals and clones to plant in the mineral-rich mountain soil. Well-drained, red-clay soil, combined with sunny days and cool nights produce small, intensely flavored grapes with a higher acidity and a lower pH than valley fruit. These grapes are picked at a higher sugar to achieve the perfect balance for exceptional wines.

Composition 100% Bradford Mountain Vineyard:
77% Cabernet Franc 15% Cabernet Sauvignon 4% Merlot 4% Petite Verdot

Barrel Aging 22 months
75% new French oak
25% 1-2 yr-old French oak

Production 250 cases

you can get it here: http://www.securewineshop.net/locals/customer/product.php?productid=45&cat=7&page=1
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:29 pm

I should have added that I live in Maryland. The distributors OWN the legislature. I am able to get to DC which may not be New York, but gets most of the same distibution. Remember, your representatives need access to good wine!

Someone at chat (I believe it was Mr. Yaniger) suggested I try a Dressner import. Does Dressner import cab. francs? Any seconds to that suggestion?
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:38 pm

Couly-Dutheil Clos De L'Echo Chinon Cresendo. I had the 1997 two weeks ago. It is the finest Cabernet Franc I've ever tasted. -$30?
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Nathan Smyth

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:20 am

by Nathan Smyth » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:34 pm

You need to rent this movie, called Sideways.

It's all about drinking Cabernet Franc.

PS: If you want to bring something from a little off the beaten path, then look into Long Island or even Virginia Cab Francs.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:47 pm

Nathan Smyth wrote:You need to rent this movie, called Sideways.

PS: If you want to bring something from a little off the beaten path, then look into Long Island or even Virginia Cab Francs.

Seen the movie. thought it was funny. It may have been right about California Cab. Francs. I love Virginia cabernet francs and think they make the best ones in the U.S. I guess I'm a Europhile when it comes to wine.

I like Bill's Chinon suggestion. Who is the importer Bill? Who distributes locally?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:59 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Does Dressner import cab. francs? Any seconds to that suggestion?

He imports Bernard Baudry.

Buy it.

You won't be sorry.

He also imports C&P Breton, and a number of other excellent wines, but Baudry is the safest bet for a beginner crowd IMHO.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:13 pm

Rashaan, you da man!

Thanks for the advice. I do appreciate it, despite the somewhat smarmy response.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:59 pm

Pride makes an awesome Cab Franc.....

a bit out of the price range.... but.. .. amazing stuff
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:53 pm

You probably won't be able to get it, but William Harrison Winery in rutherford (yes, California) has a very nice 2004 Cab Franc. it's somewhat above your price range ($40s+shipping)
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:02 pm

2005 Domaine de Pallus, a Chinon that the Rare Wine Co imports. They distribute through Henry Wine CO in Ca but I have no idea who distributor is on the East coast. If you can find it believe me it's a great inexpensive red circa $20 or so.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:10 pm

Maybe you've heard of this one:
Barboursville Vineyards 2004 Virginia Cabernet Franc Reserve.
I believe you brought it to NiagaraCOOL and was one of the best ones we tasted.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:17 pm

Thanks Lou. I will look for that along with the Dressner selection.

Howie, you are a big help as always. Do you have any of YOUR cabernet franc left? I thought that was delicious! :D
no avatar
User

Nathan Smyth

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:20 am

by Nathan Smyth » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:06 am

There are approximately one gazillion Cab Francs on this page:

http://www.liwines.com/default.ihtml?page=vineyards&subpage=winelist

It's been years since I've done the North Fork thing, but it used to be really beautiful up there, back in the day.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:07 am

James Roscoe wrote:
Nathan Smyth wrote:You need to rent this movie, called Sideways.

Seen the movie. thought it was funny. It may have been right about California Cab. Francs. I love Virginia cabernet francs and think they make the best ones in the U.S. I guess I'm a Europhile when it comes to wine.

I like Bill's Chinon suggestion. Who is the importer Bill? Who distributes locally?

Here it's New France Wine Co. I'm certain it's available on the east coast. I would guess some smaller regional guy.

http://www.coulydutheil-chinon.com
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:23 am

Bill Hooper wrote:Couly-Dutheil Clos De L'Echo Chinon Cresendo. I had the 1997 two weeks ago. It is the finest Cabernet Franc I've ever tasted. -$30?

Strong words. I've never been that impressed with Couly-Dutheil to put them in the ultra-elite best-ever-tasted category. But, clearly they have lots of bottlings and lots of vintages and I have certainly not tasted them all.
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:34 am

What Rahsaan said about Baudry. If I had to pick a single best Loire Cab Franc producer, he would be the one. I have been able to buy Baudry's Les Granges regularly at Morris Miller on Georgia Ave. D.C. near the Silver Spring border. It's his bottom-end bottling but that means it's affordable (usually in the $12-13 range) and unlike some of his higher-end bottlings, it can usually be enjoyed young. It's consistently excellent IMHO.

I've also regularly found and purchased Domaine Filliatreau's Chateau Fouquet bottling from Saumur; also the low-end, I believe, superbly-priced at around $10, usually fine for opening upon release and also excellent. I've gotten it at Morris Miller and MacArthur (though the latter store most recently had the 2003 which I thought suffered from the hot vintage).

A third bottling I've found in D.C. is Couly-Dutheil's Chinon Les Gravieres, perhaps a notch below the other two but still a respectable and often quite good reflection of the appellation and grape. I've seen it at a bunch of stores, including Cleveland Park, Calvert-Woodley and Rodman's.

Charles Joguet's Chinons are often available at stores around D.C. and often quite good, though they're a little pricier.

Another option you should be able to find is Domaine de la Chanteleuserie's Bourgeuils; the Cuvee Alouette and VV bottlings are usually pretty good, though less consistent than some of the others I've mentioned. This producer and Joguet are Kermit Lynch imports and usually carried at Rodman's.

You should also look for Breton's Bourgeuils, though I've found them harder to find in the D.C. area; I have been able to purchase the Trinch! at MacArthur in the past, a consistently delightful, drink young bottling that rivals Baudry and Filliatreau for enjoyment IMHO.

For comparison purposes and because it's almost local, you should try to find a Virginia Cab Franc, too; I've had one (IIRC it was a Barboursville, which someone else also recommended) that I liked very much.

My recommendation would be to use the web and call D.C. stores to find out who has what and then make the schlep into town to pick up what you want; alternatively, you could order from Chambers Street which has the best selection anywhere.

Good luck!
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:17 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Bill Hooper wrote:Couly-Dutheil Clos De L'Echo Chinon Cresendo. I had the 1997 two weeks ago. It is the finest Cabernet Franc I've ever tasted. -$30?

Strong words. I've never been that impressed with Couly-Dutheil to put them in the ultra-elite best-ever-tasted category. But, clearly they have lots of bottlings and lots of vintages and I have certainly not tasted them all.

I've not tasted it young, but the '97 is singin' a sweet song right about now. I do agree completely about Baudry as well. I had a '96 this past summer which was great, but just not quite like the CD.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:18 pm

Bruce, I forget about Rodmans. I have never been there. Do they have a good selection? I will check them out.

Bill, keep those ideas coming!
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:32 pm

Rodman's has a somewhat idiosyncratic selection. It's not good enough to make me take a special trip there -- and the prices are OK but not great -- but if I'm in the neighborhood and have time to stop there, I will. They have a lot of Kermit Lynch imports (Joguet and Chanteleuserie) though little if any Louis/Dressner. Last time I was there, I was able to pick up several bottles of the Manoir du Carra 2005 Beaujolais which obviously is not Cab Franc but is one of the best bargains out there these days.

The other reason to shop there is they have bargains on small appliances, they carry certain medicines and medical supplies you can't find at the likes of CVS, and the place was Trader Joe's before there was a Trader Joe's -- you can get great chocolates and gourmet foods for very reasonable prices. Like I said, it's idiosyncratic -- and it's a D.C. institution of sorts.
no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:03 am

Buenos Aires, Argentina

by Alejandro Audisio » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:36 pm

It wont be easy to get, but, see if you can source a bottle of Benegas Lynch Cabernet Franc (from Mendoza, Argentina).
Alejandro Audisio - drink wines from the RIGHT side of the Andes!!!
ITB in Buenos Aires, Argentina
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:33 pm

Alejandro Audisio wrote:It wont be easy to get, but, see if you can source a bottle of Benegas Lynch Cabernet Franc (from Mendoza, Argentina).

Thanks Alejandro. Tell me more about this cab. franc!

Is your avatar a new addition to your family? You know you will need to give some details so we can properly congratulate you and hand out the traditional cigars, or bottles of Bordeaux with a good whiff of tobacco on them (my preference).
Next