The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Worth pre-ordering 2006 Glaetzer?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

MattThr

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:25 am

UK

Worth pre-ordering 2006 Glaetzer?

by MattThr » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:03 pm

Hi,

My local wine shop does a variety of pre-release offers on various wines with a view of saving you a bit of money. My eye was attracted to the latest offer - an early order of 2006 Glaetzer wines, since 2006 is allegedly a pretty good vintage in the Barossa valley, and they also look like wines that won't need to be kept for years and years.

I was a little surprised when I investigated the price though. They're offering six bottles of "bishop" Shiraz for £95. The surprise was that at Oddbins you can buy six bottles of the 2004 for £97, which rather makes a mockery of the idea of a pre-release "offer".

So what's going on here? Are they staking a higher price on the 2006 or might I just as well pop down to Oddbins and buy a case of 2004 from there?
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Worth pre-ordering 2006 Glaetzer?

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:29 pm

I think Ben Glaetzer is a very good winemaker and I have tasted a few of the regular shiraz in the past. Most could have used some time IMO. However that `94 Bishop is a big wine with good age potential. Know nothing about the `06 but the Oz experts will be here shortly!!
Think the Oddbins deal looks good from this side of the pond!
no avatar
User

Jackson Brooke

Rank

Cellar rat

Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:45 pm

Re: Worth pre-ordering 2006 Glaetzer?

by Jackson Brooke » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:56 pm

Ben Glaetzer is one of the best - there is little to no doubt about that - he recently won a winemaking award in Australia and pipped some very handy competitors at the post.

In my opinion your better off to get the 04 - even if these wines drink well young 06 would be very raw. Depending on what you want to do with it I would stay with the 04. If your plan is to throw them in a long term cellar, then perhaps save the 2 pound - but I wouldn't have thought there would be much vintage variation between these wines, both years were hot and dry (I think)